Search our Archives for press releases from other collectibles:
- All Press Releases
- Art Press Releases
- Coin Press Releases
- Comics Press Releases
- Currency Press Releases
- Domain Names & Intellectual Property Press Releases
- Entertainment Press Releases
- Historical Press Releases
- Jewelry, Timepieces & Luxury Accessories
- Movie Poster Press Releases
- Real Estate Press Releases
- Sports Press Releases
- Wine Press Releases
Press Release - January 9, 2006
Heritage Presents The Jules Reiver Collection!
Dallas, Texas: Heritage Galleries & Auctioneers (HG&A) will offer the Jules Reiver Collection of U.S. Coinage at auction on January 23-28, 2006 in their Dallas, Texas headquarters.
"From his early days in Wilmington, Delaware where he worked in his parent's flooring store, to his service in World War II for which he was awarded the Bronze Star for his part in the Battle of the Bulge, to his life in numismatics, Jules Reiver was passionate about everything he did," said Mark Borckardt, Senior Cataloger for HG&A.
"That passion is reflected in the Jules Reiver Collection of U.S. Coinage," Borckardt continued. "Ranked among the greatest numismatists of the Twentieth Century, Reiver established a hobby-wide reputation for his discerning eye, inquisitive mind, and generosity with his knowledge over five decades of dedicated collecting. His collection evolved to focus on die varieties and die states of all U.S. silver and copper coinage from 1793 through 1839, which, over the ensuing 40 years, would become the most complete collection of its kind. Before his final purchases, he had amassed more than 5,000 significant issues, representing a landmark achievement in the history of American numismatics."
"The Reiver Collection includes items from most 19th and early 20th century copper, nickel, and silver series, but is nearly complete in the 18th and early 19th century copper and silver issues," said Borckardt. "Concentrating on the earliest United States coinage issues from 1793 to 1838, from Half Cents through Bust Dollars, there are only a few varieties that are missing. Mr. Reiver had nearly complete die variety collections of United States half cents, large cents, early half dimes, early dimes, early quarters, early half dollars, and early silver dollars. His collection was possibly the most complete of any collector to date. He also collected Liberty Seated coinage, as well as other 19th and 20th century issues."
"Not only was Mr. Reiver a collector and student of numismatics, whose most active period of collecting was from the mid-1960s through the early 1990s," Borckardt continued, "but he was also an author who wrote several publications focused on the early copper and silver series. His Variety Identification Manuals brought a scientific approach to die variety attribution, while his attribution guide to the Braided Hair Large Cents formed the basis for the current standard reference to that series. Mr. Reiver was also a pioneer in the collecting of Reeded Edge Capped Bust Half Dollars, and those who pursue this series could not do so without his Variety Identification Manual for United States Reeded Edge Half Dollars."
Highlights of the Jules Reiver Collection include:
- 1794 1C Head of 1794. S-42, B-29, Low R.4. AU58 NGC. AU50 EAC.
- 1794 $1 B-1, BB-1, R.4. VF25 NGC.
- 1795 $1 Flowing Hair, Three Leaves. B-22, BB-29, R.8--Improperly Cleaned, Obverse Tooled, Double Struck--NCS. VF Details.
- 1796 25C B-1, R.5. AU53 NGC. Usual State.
- 1796 50C 15 Stars--Environmental Damage--NCS. VF Details.
- 1796 50C 16 Stars VG8 NGC.
- 1797 1C Reverse of 1797, Stems. NC-7, B-30, R.8--Environmental Damage--NCS. VF Details. VG8 EAC.
- 1797 50C --Obverse Graffiti--NCS. XF Details.
- 1797 50C VG10 NGC.
- 1798 $1 10 Arrows. B-21, BB-107, R.4. MS61 NGC.
- 1800 $1 Normal Dies. B-20, BB-185, R.6. XF45 NGC.
- 1821 1C N-1, R.1--Improperly Cleaned--NCS. Unc Details. AU55 EAC.
- 1841 1/2 C Original. PO-2, B-1, R.6. PR63 Brown NGC. PR60 EAC.
- 1859-S $1 MS62 NGC.
- 1878-S 50C AU Details NCS.
- 1888-S 25C MS67 NGC.
Images, descriptions, and prices realized from all of Heritage's previous auctions are available in the Permanent Auction Archives at the Heritage website.
To reserve your copy of a catalog for any upcoming Heritage auction, please contact Nicole Jewell, c/o Heritage Galleries & Auctioneers, 3500 Maple Avenue, 17th Floor, Dallas, TX 75219, or call 1-800-872-6467, ext. 272.