Search our Archives for press releases from other collectibles:
- All Press Releases
- Art Press Releases
- Coin Press Releases
- Comics Press Releases
- Currency Press Releases
- Domain Names & Intellectual Property Press Releases
- Entertainment Press Releases
- Historical Press Releases
- Jewelry, Timepieces & Luxury Accessories
- Movie Poster Press Releases
- Real Estate Press Releases
- Sports Press Releases
- Wine Press Releases
Press Release - January 19, 2005
Heritage Sets World Record with $61 Million in Auction Sales!
Dallas, Texas: Heritage Numismatic Auctions, Inc (HNAI) has reported the results of their most recent auctions, held in conjunction with the Florida United Numismatists (FUN) convention. Three separate sales, HNAI Signature Sale #360 (which realized over $53 million, a record for a single numismatic sale), HNAI Bullet Sale #361, and Heritage Currency Auctions of America (CAA) Sale #362, realized a combined total of $61,144,809.34. Over the three sales, 7,989 bidders competed for 17,611 lots, 2,915 successfully. Total sell-through was 91.11% overall, for 16,046 lots sold.
"We were pretty excited last year, at the 2004 FUN convention, when we set the world's record for a numismatic auction event," said Greg Rohan, President of HNAI. "We're ecstatic this year, now that we've more than doubled that record."
The highlight of the Signature Sale was the 1787 Brasher Doubloon which realized $2,990,000, instantly securing its position as one of the most expensive coins ever sold at auction.
Included in the currency sale was the "hidden" collection of Malcolm Trask, untouched since the early 1960s, which realized a total of $1,437,190.65. Trask, an IRT motorman from New York City, was considered a pioneer in the field of New York currency. His collection was comprised of over 300 large notes, many of which were uncirculated.
Highlights of the sales include:
- 1787 DBLN Brasher New York Style Doubloon. EB Punch on Breast. XF45 NGC. REALIZED: $2,990,000.
- 1787 DBLN Brasher New York Style Doubloon. EB Punch on Wing. AU55 NGC. REALIZED: $2,415,000.
- 1894-S 10C PR65 PCGS. REALIZED: $1,035,000.
- 1833 $5 Large Date PR67 PCGS. REALIZED: $977,500.
- 1880 $4 Coiled Hair. Judd-1660. Pollock-1860. PR66 Cameo NGC. REALIZED: $977,500.
- 1835 $5 PR67 PCGS. REALIZED: $690,000.
- 1742 DBLN Brasher Lima Style Doubloon. XF40 NGC. REALIZED: $690,000.
- 1879 $4 Coiled Hair, Judd-1638, Pollock-1838, R.6. PR67 Cameo NGC. REALIZED: $655,500.
- 1795 $10 13 Leaves MS64 PCGS. REALIZED: $460,000.
- 1839 $10 Type of 1838, Large Letters MS66 PCGS. REALIZED: $402,500.
- 1879 $4 Flowing Hair Judd-1635, Pollock-1832, R.3, PR67 Cameo NGC. REALIZED: $310,500.
- 1855 G$1 PR65 PCGS. REALIZED: $287,500.
- Fr. 185m $500 1880 Legal Tender About New. REALIZED: $281,750.
- Fr. 284 $10 1878 Silver Certificate Extremely Fine. From the collection of Malcolm A. Trask. REALIZED: $89,125.
- Fr. 2231-A $10,000 1934 Federal Reserve Note. Choice Crisp Uncirculated. REALIZED: $66,125.
- Albany, OR - $10 1902 Red Seal Fr. 613 The First NB Ch. # (P)2928. From the Malcolm A. Trask collection. REALIZED: $61,525.
- Fr. 187j $1,000 1880 Legal Tender CGA Very Fine 35. REALIZED: $60,375.
- Fr. 2221-K $5,000 1934 Federal Reserve Note. Very Choice Crisp Uncirculated. REALIZED: $57,500.
- Fr. 1185 $20 1906 Gold Certificate Gem New. From the collection of Malcolm A. Trask. REALIZED: $57,500.
Images, descriptions, and prices realized from all of Heritage's previous sales are available in the Permanent Auction Archives at the Heritage website.
To purchase a catalog for any Heritage Auction, please contact Customer Service, at 800-872-6467, or write to Heritage Numismatic Auctions Inc. in care of Nicole Jewell, 3500 Maple Avenue, 17th Floor, Dallas, TX., 75219.