Search our Archives for press releases from other collectibles:
- All Press Releases
- Art Press Releases
- Coin Press Releases
- Comics Press Releases
- Currency Press Releases
- Domain Names & Intellectual Property Press Releases
- Entertainment Press Releases
- Historical Press Releases
- Jewelry, Timepieces & Luxury Accessories
- Movie Poster Press Releases
- Real Estate Press Releases
- Sports Press Releases
- Wine Press Releases
Press Release - April 14, 2006
Incredible Hoard of Hawaiian Coinage to be Auctioned!
Dallas, Texas: One of the most incredible accumulations of the coinage from Hawaii, dated 1883, is about to hit the auction block. Assembled over many years by an obviously passionate collector, this accumulation contains the largest single offering of this ever-popular coinage series.
According to Greg Rohan, President of Dallas-based Heritage Auction Galleries, "In 1883, King Kalakaua I - who ruled from 1874-1891 - saw the coinage of the US during his world travels and was so impressed that, after interviewing mint representatives from several foreign countries, he had an issue of coins struck for his Hawaiian islands using US coinage blanks (the use of existing US coin planchets also lowered the cost of creating this coinage). A series of dollars, half dollars, quarter dollars and dimes, designed by Charles Barber, were struck at the San Francisco Mint, with the King's effigy on the obverse and the Hawaiian coat of arms on the reverse. They were only struck for one year, and have been popular with collectors ever since. These coins are listed in the A Guide Book of United States Coins, also known as 'The Red Book'".
This hoard contains 100 dimes, 200 quarters, 150 half dollars, and an amazing 68 silver dollars. Grades range from VG to MS 62, and this will certainly be one of the most talked about lots in this year's auction.
Heritage Auction Galleries will present this incredible collection in their upcoming Signature Auction, to be held April 26-29, 2006 as the official auctioneer of the Central States Numismatic Society's 2006 Convention, at the Greater Columbus Convention Center, located at 400 North High Street, Columbus, Ohio.
- A 68-piece Hoard of Uncertified, Circulated 1883 $1 Hawaii Dollars
- A Hoard of Circulated, Uncertified 1883 50C Hawaii Half Dollars
- A Hoard of Uncertified, Circulated 1883 25C Hawaii Quarters
- Two Uncertified rolls of 1883 10C Hawaii Ten Cents
Images, descriptions, and prices realized from all of Heritage's previous auctions are available in the Permanent Auction Archives at the Heritage website.
To reserve your copy of a catalog for any upcoming Heritage auction, please contact Nicole Jewell, c/o Heritage Auction Galleries, 3500 Maple Avenue, 17th Floor, Dallas, TX 75219, or call 1-800-872-6467, ext. 272.
sold in the last year
- Past Auction Values (prices, photos, full descriptions, etc.)
- Bid online
- Free Collector newsletter
- Want List with instant e-mail notifications
- Reduced auction commissions when you resell your