Search our Archives for press releases from other collectibles:
- All Press Releases
- Art Press Releases
- Coin Press Releases
- Comics Press Releases
- Currency Press Releases
- Domain Names & Intellectual Property Press Releases
- Entertainment Press Releases
- Historical Press Releases
- Jewelry, Timepieces & Luxury Accessories
- Movie Poster Press Releases
- Real Estate Press Releases
- Sports Press Releases
- Wine Press Releases
Press Release - May 21, 2004
John Michael Stuart Collection of 1907 Coinage to anchor Heritage's Pittsburgh ANA Signature Auction
Dallas, TX: The Stuart Collection of 1907 Coinage will anchor Heritage's official Summer ANA auction being held in Pittsburgh this August. Mr. Stuart has assembled a fabulous collection of coins dated 1907, including such numismatic treasure as a trio of Saint-Gaudens High-Relief Double Eagles:
- Wire Rim, MS65 PCGS
- Flat Rim, MS65 PCGS
- Pr64 NGC
"Although minor coins dated 1907 are common," noted Heritage Consignment Director Jim Jelinski, "Mr. Stuart's are quite extraordinary. His 1907-O dime grades MS-66, with only one finer known to exist. But his gold coins are the glory of the collection. His 1907-D Liberty Double Eagle, graded MS-66, is condition Census. His Proof Liberty Double Eagle grades Proof-66, and only a solitary cameo coin of the date has ever received a Proof-67 grade. The Rolled Edge Indian Head Eagle, a coin with a tiny mintage, grades MS-65. His Proof Liberty Half Eagle grades Proof-67 Cameo, and is tied with one other coin as the finest known (with or without the Cameo designation). His Proof-66 Liberty Quarter Eagle and Proof-65 Liberty Eagle are incredibly beautiful as well as near the very top of the Condition Census.
"Mr. Stuart's mother was a coin collector," added Leo Frese, Heritage's Director of Consignments, "so he has been interested in coins since his childhood. His serious pursuit of gold started more recently, after he achieved astonishing commercial success designing and marketing medical devices. He first focused on gold bullion as a means of diversification from stock holdings, but then became interested in the story behind all of the design changes in 1907. He found the story of Saint-Gaudens and the redesign of America's gold coinage at the behest of President Teddy Roosevelt to be utterly fascinating. He started to acquire 1907 coins, and began a process of acquisitions and upgrading."
Mr. Stuart has been involved in medical devices for several decades, and holds eleven U.S. and innumerable foreign patents. About twenty years ago, he started working with corporate start-ups in high-tech medical devices, and achieved medical breakthroughs in several of his companies:
- Devices for retinal surgery, repairing damaged eyes; now one of the most widely used technologies
- Tracheostomy tubes and related devices
- A breast biopsy device that is the #1 in the world, and is now owned by Johnson & Johnson
- His current endeavor uses robotics technology for dexterity enhancements during surgery; one of the side benefits is extending the useful careers of older surgeon s
Highlights from The John Michael Stuart Collection of 1907 Coinage:
- 1907 $5 Liberty PR67 Cameo NGC.
- 1907 $10 Liberty PR65 NGC.
- 1907 $10 Indian Wire Rim MS64 PCGS.
- 1907 $10 Indian Rolled Edge MS65 PCGS.
- 1907 $20 Liberty PR66 PCGS.
- 1907 $20 Saint-Gaudens High Relief, Wire Rim MS65 PCGS.
- 1907 $20 Saint-Gaudens High Relief, Flat Rim MS65 PCGS.
- 1907 $20 Saint-Gaudens High Relief PR64 NGC.
- 1907 $20 Arabic Numerals MS67 NGC.
Additional Stuart 1907 Coinage
- 1907 Cent MS64 Red and Brown PCGS.
- 1907 Nickel MS65 NGC.
- 1907-O Dime MS66 NGC.
- 1907-O Quarter MS64 PCGS.
- 1907-O Half Dollar MS65 NGC.
- 1907 $2.50 PR66 PCGS.
- 1907 $5 MS64 PCGS.
- 1907 $10 No Motto MS64 PCGS.
- 1907 $10 No Motto MS65 NGC.
- 1907-D $20 MS66 PCGS.
- 1907-S $20 MS63 PCGS.
- 1907 $20 Arabic Numerals MS65 PCGS.
Other featured collections in Heritage's August Pittsburgh ANA Signature Sale will include the Karl Scheible Collection of first year of issue coins, Part Two of the Paulsboro Collection, and Part Two of the Harold W. Anderson Collection. The consignment deadline is July 8. Heritage is currently accepting consignments for the Pittsburgh ANA. For additional information, please contact Leo Frese at 1-800-872-6467 Ext. 294, Jim Jelinski at ext.257, or the Heritage Consignor Hotline at ext 222.
Images, descriptions, and prices realized are available at no charge to Heritage Coin members in the Permanent Auction Archives