Search our Archives for press releases from other collectibles:
- All Press Releases
- Art Press Releases
- Coin Press Releases
- Comics Press Releases
- Currency Press Releases
- Domain Names & Intellectual Property Press Releases
- Entertainment Press Releases
- Historical Press Releases
- Jewelry, Timepieces & Luxury Accessories
- Movie Poster Press Releases
- Real Estate Press Releases
- Sports Press Releases
- Wine Press Releases
Press Release - January 30, 2006
Jules Reiver Collection Auction Is A Hit!
Dallas, Texas: Heritage Auction Galleries held their Signature Auction of the Jules Reiver Collection of US Coinage on January 24-28, 2006 in their Dallas headquarters. This auction, held with no reserves, realized $8,534,146 in its nine sessions, with 2,815 total bidders participating, 654 of them successfully, for 4,642 total lots. With the On-Line Session closing on January 30, totals for this auction will climb even higher.
"This auction has been tremendously popular with the public," said Greg Rohan, President of Heritage. "Our lot viewing sessions were consistently full, and bidding sessions were standing room only. Interest has been so strong that WFAA, Channel 8 in Dallas, sent a camera crew to cover Tuesday night's session. Needless to say, Mr. Reiver's family is thrilled with the results of the auction."
"Jules Reiver was a fascinating man," opined Rohan. "A World War II hero who was awarded the Bronze Star, he was a passionate numismatist who assembled probably the most complete collection that has ever existed of early US copper and silver coinage by die variety and die state. Mr. Reiver was also an author, writing the authoritative reference on Half Dollars minted 1836-39 and books and articles on several other series."
"Mr. Reiver's collecting efforts were far reaching, and the results speak for themselves," concluded Rohan. "We had originally projected this collection to bring in $7 million, and the results exceeded even our high expectations. We can think of no finer tribute to this man and his lifetime contributions to numismatics."
Auction highlights include:
- 1796 $1 Small Date, Large Letters. B-4, BB-61, R.2. MS61 NGC. REALIZED: $172,500.
- 1794 $1 B-1, BB-1, R.4. VF25 NGC. REALIZED: $161,000.
- 1831 1/2 C Original C-1 or EO-5, B-1, R.6. Die State 1. PR58 NGC. REALIZED: $80,500.
- 1794 50C O-101, High R.3. AU55 NGC. REALIZED: $69,000.
- 1797 50C O-101, High R.4. XF Details NCS. REALIZED: $69,000.
- 1796 50C 15 Stars, O-101, R.5. VF Details NCS. REALIZED: $63,250.
- 1878-S 50C AU Details NCS. REALIZED: $58,075.
- 1797 1C Reverse of 1797, No Stems. S-131, B-27, R.3. AU55 NGC. REALIZED: $48,875.
- 1796 25C B-1, R.5. AU53 NGC. REALIZED: $48,875.
- 1839 50C Small Letters, JR-1, R.7. AU Details NCS. REALIZED: $48,875.
- 1797 $1 9x7 Stars, Small Letters, B-2, BB-72, R.4. AU55 NGC. REALIZED: $48,875.
- 1797 50C O-102, Low R.6. VG10 NGC. REALIZED: $46,000.
- 1796 50C 16 Stars, O-102, High R.5. VG8 NGC. REALIZED: $46,000.
- 1792 H10C Half Disme, Judd-7, Pollock-7, LM-1, R.3. VF Details NCS. REALIZED: $46,000.
- 1839 Gobrecht $1 Name Omitted, Judd-104 Restrike, Pollock-116, R.3, PR64 NGC. REALIZED: $46,000.
- 1878 $3 MS66 NGC. REALIZED: $46,000.
- 1793 1C Wreath Cent--Vine and Bars--S-8, B-13, Low R.3. MS62 Brown NGC. REALIZED: $46,000.
Images, descriptions, and prices realized from this auction, as well as all previous Heritage auctions, are available in the Permanent Auction Archives at the Heritage website.
To purchase a catalog for any Heritage Auction, please contact Nicole Jewell at Heritage Auction Galleries, 3500 Maple Avenue, 17th Floor, Dallas, TX, 75219 or visit HeritageAuctions.com/Coins to order by credit card.
For additional Heritage press releases, please visit http://www.HeritageAuctions.com/Coins/common/info/press/default.php.
sold in the last year
- Past Auction Values (prices, photos, full descriptions, etc.)
- Bid online
- Free Collector newsletter
- Want List with instant e-mail notifications
- Reduced auction commissions when you resell your