Search our Archives for press releases from other collectibles:
- All Press Releases
- Art Press Releases
- Coin Press Releases
- Comics Press Releases
- Currency Press Releases
- Domain Names & Intellectual Property Press Releases
- Entertainment Press Releases
- Historical Press Releases
- Jewelry, Timepieces & Luxury Accessories
- Movie Poster Press Releases
- Real Estate Press Releases
- Sports Press Releases
- Wine Press Releases
Press Release - January 27, 2006
The Reiver Collection--$5.1 Million Realized in Three Days and Still Going
Dallas, Texas: Heritage Auction Galleries opened their Signature Auction of the Jules Reiver Collection of US Coinage on January 24, 2006 in their Dallas headquarters. This auction, held with no reserves, has realized $5,097,386 through six of nine sessions so far, with 2,663 total bidders participating, 465 of them successfully, for 2,908 total lots.
"This auction has been tremendously popular with the public," said Greg Rohan, President of Heritage. "Our lot viewing sessions have been consistently full, and bidding sessions have been standing room only. Interest has been so strong that WFAA, Channel 8 in Dallas, sent a camera crew to cover Tuesday night's session. Needless to say, Mr. Reiver's family has been thrilled with the results of the auction so far."
"I am amazed by the prices these coins are bringing," said Mark Borckardt, Senior Cataloger for Heritage and lead cataloger for this auction. "One early copper dealer attending the sale said that even the low-value material is bringing 'all the money.' The important rarities in the Reiver Collection are bringing prices that have never been seen before in the copper market. We all felt that the Rasmussen Collection we sold last year did extremely well, but comparatively, I feel the Reiver Collection is exceeding all expectations, and will make prices at the Rasmussen sale seem like bargains."
"Jules Reiver was a fascinating man," opined Rohan. "A World War II hero who was awarded the Bronze Star, he was a passionate numismatist who assembled probably the most complete collection that has ever existed of early US copper and silver coinage by die variety and die state. Mr. Reiver was also an author, writing the authoritative reference on Half Dollars minted 1836-39 and books and articles on several other series."
"Mr. Reiver's collecting efforts were far reaching, and the results speak for themselves," continued Rohan. "Although this auction has already continued for three days, we have yet to scratch the surface of his amazing collection of early US silver, which includes nearly a thousand different half dollars dated 1794-1839 as well as an extensive selection in other series."
This auction will continue through January 28 at Heritage's headquarters, with internet bidding still open on many items at www.HeritageGalleries.com/Coins.
Auction highlights so far include:
- 1831 1/2 C Original C-1 or EO-5, B-1, R.6. Die State 1. PR58 NGC. REALIZED: $80,500.
- 1878-S 50C AU Details NCS. REALIZED: $58,075.
- 1797 1C Reverse of 1797, No Stems. S-131, B-27, R.3. AU55 NGC. REALIZED: $48,875.
- 1839 Gobrecht $1 Name Omitted, Judd-104 Restrike, Pollock-116, R.3, PR64 NGC. REALIZED: $46,000.
- 1878 $3 MS66 NGC. REALIZED: $46,000.
- 1793 1C Wreath Cent--Vine and Bars--S-8, B-13, Low R.3. MS62 Brown NGC. REALIZED: $46,000.
- 1811 1/2 C C-2, B-2, R.2. Die State 3. Unc Details NCS. REALIZED: $43,125.
- 1793 Chain 1C AMERI. S-1, B-1, Low R.4. Fine 15 NGC. REALIZED: $43,125.
- 1838 Gobrecht $1 Name Omitted, Judd-84 Restrike, Pollock-93, R.5, PR63 NGC. REALIZED: $43,125.
- 1895 $1 PR62 NGC. REALIZED: $37,375.
- 1856 1C PR65 NGC. Snow-3. REALIZED: $34,500.
- 1794 1C Head of 1794. S-42, B-29, Low R.4. AU58 NGC. REALIZED: $34,500.
- 1802/0 1/2 C Reverse of 1800. C-1, B-1, R.6. Die State 1. VF Details NCS. REALIZED: $34,500.
- 1797 1C Reverse of 1797, Stems. NC-7, B-30, R.8. VF Details. NCS. REALIZED: $32,200.
- 1793 1C Liberty Cap. S-16, B-19, R.6. VF Details NCS. REALIZED: $32,200.
- 1796 1C Draped Bust, Reverse of 1796 S-96, B-32, R.6. VF Details. NCS. REALIZED: $32,200.
Images, descriptions, and prices realized from this auction, as well as all previous Heritage auctions, are available in the Permanent Auction Archives at the Heritage website.
To purchase a catalog for any Heritage Auction, please contact Nicole Jewell at Heritage Auction Galleries, 3500 Maple Avenue, 17th Floor, Dallas, TX, 75219 or visit HeritageGalleries.com/Coins to order by credit card.
For additional Heritage press releases, please visit http://www.HeritageGalleries.com/Coins/common/info/press/default.php.