- Keyword Search
Borderline Uncirculated 1821 Half Eagle
1821 $5 AU58 PCGS. CAC. Breen-6479, BD-1, High R.6.
Bass-Dannreuther Die State a/a. The 1821 is one of several great
rarities within the Capped Head Left series. Two die varieties are
known, and these share the same reverse. BD-1 is distinguished from
the even rarer BD-2 by the positions of stars 7 and 13. Star 7
points to a corner of Liberty's cap, and star 13 barely touches the
PCGS has Certified Only Eight Examples
The present example is pleasing for a number of reasons, especially its originality. The caramel-gold surfaces are never bright, and abrasions are inconsequential aside from a faded thin mark on the cheek and minor striae on the field beneath the eagle's left (facing) wing. The strike is precise throughout, and high point friction is limited to the forehead and shoulder curls, the claws, and the extremities of the eagle's wings. A wide band of luster fills the margins. The portrait and eagle also shimmer with luster.
Only a handful of certified 1821 half eagles have appeared at auction. We note only the following appearances:
1) MS62 NGC. Superior, 5/2006, lot 1104.
2) MS61 NGC. BD-2. Bowers and Merena (9/1984), lot 127; Auction '89, Superior (7/1989), lot 888; Michael I. Keston Sale (Superior, 1/1996), lot 112; Superior, 5/2001, lot 4043.
3) AU55 NGC. BD-2. George H. Earle (Henry Chapman, 6/1912), lot 2391; Flanagan Collection (Stack's, Spring 1944), lot 1097; Lee Sale (Stack's 10/1947), lot 1240; New Netherlands (6/1957), lot 378; Baltimore ANA (Heritage, 7/2008), lot 1954.
4) AU55 NGC. BD-1. Pre-Long Beach Sale (Superior, 5/2003), lot 3697; Frog Run Farm Collection (American Numismatic Rarities, 11/2004), lot 1797; Bowers and Merena, 3/2009, lot 3707.
5) AU55 NGC. BD-1. Stack's, 4/1983; Rajj Collection (Stack's, 8/2011), lot 7671.
6) AU53 PCGS. BD-1. Bowers and Merena, 11/2009, lot 3684.
From The Harvey B. Jacobson, Jr. Collection.(Registry values: P5) (NGC ID# 25PX, PCGS# 8129)
View all of [The Harvey B. Jacobson, Jr. Collection ]
Service and Handling Description: Coins & Currency (view shipping information)
Sales Tax information | PCGS Guarantee of Grade and Authenticity | Terms and Conditions
Bidding Guidelines and Bid Increments
Glossary of Terms
Buyer's Premium per Lot:
15% of the successful bid (minimum $14) per lot.
Luxury Real Estate
Opens about 12/31/2015
Opens about 02/12/2016
Opens about 02/22/2016
Opens about 03/04/2016
Opens about 03/07/2016
Fine & Rare Wine
Opens about 03/14/2016
Opens about 03/17/2016
Opens about 03/18/2016
- Past Auction Values (prices, photos, full descriptions, etc.)
- Bid online
- Free Collector newsletter
- Want List with instant e-mail notifications
- Reduced auction commissions when you resell your