1870-CC $5 AU58 NGC. Variety 1-A, Die State I. Only 7,675 ...
Near-Mint 1870-CC Half Eagle, Just Outside the Condition Census1870-CC $5 AU58 NGC. Variety 1-A, Die State I. Only 7,675 pieces were originally struck of this first-year issue, with an estimated 50 to 60 pieces believed extant today. This includes around seven to nine in About Uncirculated and another four in Uncirculated. Of the three 1870-CC gold issues, the half eagle is the only one that is occasionally found in relatively high grades, indicating that perhaps a small number may have been saved at the time of issue as souvenirs. This piece falls just outside the Condition Census, the five finest examples known being:
1. Nevada Collection. Graded Mint State 61 by PCGS.
2. Private collection, Ex: Bowers and Merena 7/02: 607 ($77,625, as NGC MS61). Presently graded MS62 by NGC.
3. Jay Parrino, Ex: Bowers and Merena 10/99: 1170 ($69,000, as PCGS AU58); Harry Bass Collection; NERCA 1979 ANA: 182. Graded MS61 by PCGS.
4. Private collection, Ex: Charley Tuppen collection; Heritage 12/88: 1142. Graded MS61 by NGC.
5. Ex: Midwestern Collection. Graded AU58 by PCGS.
As a Die State I coin the central striking details are generally well brought up on each side. The surfaces overall are bright orange-gold and there are a number of small abrasions present, the most obvious located on the cheek of Liberty and a cluster in both the left and right obverse fields. An important, key issue in the series of Carson City half eagles.(#8320) (Registry values: P3) (NGC ID# 25WA, PCGS# 8320)
Service and Handling Description: Coin/Currency (view shipping information)
Guides and Pricing Information:
Find Auction Prices for Comparable Items: