1875 $1 Dollar, Judd-1420, Pollock-1563, High R.7, PR61 PCGS. A Trade dollar pattern with Lib...
Rarely Offered Judd-1420, 1875 Trade Dollar Pattern1875 $1 Dollar, Judd-1420, Pollock-1563, High R.7, PR61 PCGS. A Trade dollar pattern with Liberty at the seashore, similar to the Judd-1396 twenty cent pattern, with a steam warship in the distance. The reverse is of the regular No Motto silver dollar design. Struck in silver with a reeded edge. The USPatterns.com website states that Adams and Woodin related that six pieces were struck of this pattern, and "at least 5 different pieces are confirmed." The updated pedigrees of the five known pieces are:
1. H.P. Newlin (Haseltine, April 1883); Garrett Collection, Stack's (3/76), lot 655; Harry Bass Research Foundation, currently on display at the ANA in Colorado Springs.
2. Eliasberg I (Bowers and Merena, 5/96), lot 283.
3. Getty Collection (Bowers and Ruddy, 5/77), lot 660; Randolph Rothschild Collection (Stack's, 10/03), lot 1105.
4. The present example. Ex: 1984 ANA (Kurt Krueger, 7/84), lot 660; possibly Ex: Farouk.
5. Ilustrated History, (Abe Kosoff, 1962), lot 476. The Judd plate coin for editions 1-7.
Only one other piece has been certified, a PR65 by PCGS. It is interesting to note the major collections from the past that lacked this pattern: Fred Olsen (1944), Gaston DiBello (1970), Armand Champa (1972), and Thomas A. Bergin (1984). Lightly but extensively hairlined, the fields are nevertheless deeply reflective and suggest a finer grade. The centers are brilliant with light golden toning around the margins. Close examination shows occasional patches of die rust on the reverse. This die rust indicates that the reverse of this particular pattern was struck from a leftover reverse die from 1865 or before. This and the similar Judd-1470 of 1876 were probably struck for sale to collectors as opposed to being true patterns. Nevertheless, a rare opportunity for the advanced collector. (PCGS# 61727)
Service and Handling Description: Coin/Currency (view shipping information)
Guides and Pricing Information:
Find Auction Prices for Comparable Items: