- Keyword Search
Extremely Rare Second Restrike
1831 1/2 C Reverse of 1840 PR66 Brown PCGS. B-3, R.7. EAC
PR60. The "Second Restrike," with small berries on the wreath and a
wide reverse rim. The obverse die is original, and is the only one
known. The reverse die is of the design introduced by Christian
Gobrecht in 1840.
B-3 1831 Half Cent, PR66 Brown
A splendid example whose surfaces lack any indication of carbon or contact marks. The strike is penetrating. The obverse is golden-brown, and olive-brown dominates the reverse. Rotation beneath a light reveals faded mint gold about the stars and legends. The stars have slight build-up that only confirms the originality.
B-3 is extremely rare. Our research (and that of Walter Breen in his 1983 Half Cent Encyclopedia) locates only seven different examples of B-3:
1. PR66 Red and Brown PCGS. Charles Steigerwalt, 12/1908; John H. Clapp; Louis E. Eliasberg, Sr., 1942; Louis E. Eliasberg, Sr. Collection (Bowers and Merena, 3/1996), lot 445.
2. PR66 Brown PCGS. The present lot. University of Rochester Collection, Part III (Bowers and Ruddy, 6/1980), lot 3019; R.E. Naftzger Collection; William H. LaBelle, Sr. Collection (ANR, 7/2005), lot 611.
3. PR66 Brown PCGS. Byron Reed Collection (Spink America, 10/1996), lot 3; Bill Weber Collection (Superior, 6/2002), lot 2378; Thomas H. Sebring Collection (ANR, 1/2004), lot 1073.
4. PR63 Red and Brown PCGS. Pittsburgh Signature (Heritage, 8/2004), lot 5066.
5. PR63+ Uncertified. James A. Stack, Jr. Collection (Stack's, 11/1989), lot 65.
6. PR63 or Finer. King Farouk; Palace Collection (Sotheby's, 2/1954), lot 1700; Abe Kosoff; Mr. and Mrs. R. Henry Norweb; Norweb Collection (Bowers and Merena, 10/1987), lot 81.
7. Brilliant Proof. F.C.C. Boyd Collection (Numismatic Gallery, 5/1945), lot 379; Joseph Brobston; Stack's Fixed Price List #69, 1/1963; R.L. Miles, Jr., Collection (Stack's, 4/1969), lot 42; Q. David Bowers; Gene Reale Collection.(Registry values: P6) (NGC ID# 2238, PCGS# 1192)
Service and Handling Description: Coins & Currency (view shipping information)
Sales Tax information | PCGS Guarantee of Grade and Authenticity | Terms and Conditions
Bidding Guidelines and Bid Increments
Glossary of Terms
Buyer's Premium per Lot:
15% of the successful bid (minimum $9) per lot.
Luxury Real Estate
Opens about 12/31/2015
Opens about 02/12/2016
Opens about 02/22/2016
Opens about 03/04/2016
Opens about 03/07/2016
Fine & Rare Wine
Opens about 03/14/2016
Opens about 03/17/2016
Opens about 03/18/2016
- Past Auction Values (prices, photos, full descriptions, etc.)
- Bid online
- Free Collector newsletter
- Want List with instant e-mail notifications
- Reduced auction commissions when you resell your
Learn about consigning with us
As you know we have other paintings and antiques, of which, when the time is right I will contact you, I will not even consider doing business with another company.View More Testimonials
HA.com receives more traffic than any other auction house website. To compare for yourself, visit: compete.com