1856 G$1 Slanted 5 PR66 Ultra Cameo NGC. CAC....
Glittering 1856 Gold Dollar, PR66 Ultra Cameo1856 G$1 Slanted 5 PR66 Ultra Cameo NGC. CAC. A variety of reasons makes this 1856 Type Three proof gold dollar one of the most important pieces in the present sale. The quality is exceptional with amazing cameo contrast between the fully and deeply mirrored fields and frosty devices, with rich lemon-yellow color and excellent rose toning highlights. As a major rarity in proof, there are only an estimated eight to 10 known examples, and this piece is the finest of all. It is a first year of issue type coin representing the third and final gold dollar design change. The strike is extraordinary and the aesthetic appeal is second to none.
The following roster of proof 1856 gold dollars presents just eight apparently distinctive specimens, with four others that may or may not be duplicates:
1. PR66* Ultra Cameo NGC. Bowers and Merena (7/2002), lot 677. The present specimen.
2. PR66 Cameo NGC. Lorin G. Parmelee (New York Coin & Stamp Co. 1890), lot 1267; William H. Woodin, lot 856; F.C.C. Boyd; World's Greatest Collection (Numismatic Gallery, 1/1946), lot 11; Memorable Collection (Numismatic Gallery, 3/1948), lot 11; Thomas Melish (Abe Kosoff, 4/1956), lot 1750; John Jay Pittman (David Akers, 10/1997), lot 872; Bowers and Merena (3/2003), lot 2043.
3. PR65 Ultra Cameo NGC Superior (5/2004), lot 2252
4. PR65 Deep Cameo. Smithsonian Institution.
5. PR65 PCGS Stack's (4/1978), lot 769; Superior (1/1993), lot 1266; Heritage (1/2007), lot 3364; Heritage (8/1996), lot 8125.
6. PR64 PCGS. Stickney Collection (Henry Chapman, 1907); Clapp Collection (1942); Eliasberg Collection; Bowers 10/1982: 31; Connoisseur Sale (Superior, 1/1989), lot 259; Ed Trompeter; Superior 2/1992: 2; Bowers and Merena (1/1995), lot 1145.
7. PR64 PCGS. Bowers and Ruddy (12/27/1971); Harry W. Bass, Jr. Collection (Bowers and Merena, 5/2000), lot 28.
8. Proof. Wayte Raymond; private collection since 1938; David Akers; Auction '85 (Paramount, 7/1985), lot 1367; Harry W. Bass, Jr. Core Collection.
A. Proof. Charles Jay (Stack's, 10/1967), lot 217; Stack's (12/1994), lot 1162
B. Proof. R.C.W. Brock; University of Pennsylvania; Philip H. Ward, Jr. (Stack's, 4/1964), lot 1603
C. Proof. Major Lenox R. Lohr (Stack's, 10/1956), lot 967.
D. Proof. Brock; Morgan; ANS.(Registry values: P7) (NGC ID# 25DX, PCGS# 97606)
Service and Handling Description: Coins & Currency (view shipping information)
Guides and Pricing Information:
Find Auction Prices for Comparable Items: