1860 Liberty Eagle, PR64 Deep Cameo
1860 $10 PR64 Deep Cameo PCGS. The general numismatic
consensus is a total population of 10 or fewer proof 1860 Liberty
eagles survive in all grades today. Known pieces include two
specimens in the Smithsonian Institution and one in the American
Numismatic Society, reducing the available population to just over
half a dozen coins. In his 1980 auction analysis of the eagles,
David Akers wrote that "no more than 10 or 11 can be accounted for
today." Our current roster lists nine distinctly different examples
with seven other appearances that may or may not be included in the
first nine. Perhaps the final tally could reach a dozen different
pieces, including three in museums.
Finest Deep Cameo at PCGS
Ex: Farouk, Bass
Roster of 1860 Proof Liberty Eagles
1. PR64 Deep Cameo. United States Mint; National Numismatic Collection; Smithsonian Institution, grade per Garrett and Guth.
2. PR64 Deep Cameo. Smithsonian Institution duplicate, grade per Garrett and Guth.
3. Proof. American Numismatic Society, probably ex: Brock, Morgan.
4. PR64 Deep Cameo PCGS. King Farouk; Palace Collections of Egypt (Sotheby's, 2/1954), lot 199; Gaston DiBello; DiBello Collection (Stack's, 5/1970), lot 1068; Harry W. Bass, Jr. (Bowers and Merena, 10/1999), lot 1473; Bristol Sale (Kingswood, 3/2001), lot 480; Internet Only Auction (Heritage, 4/2001), lot 3496; H Internet Only Auction (Heritage, 9/2001), lot 4519; American Numismatic Rarities (6/2004), lot 1470; Central States Signature (Heritage, 4/2011), lot 5435, realized $161,000. The present specimen.
5. PR64 Deep Cameo PCGS. Orlando Sale (Stack's, 1/2009), lot 1118.
6. PR64. Heman Ely; W. Elliot Woodward; purchased by T. Harrison Garrett on 10/25/1883 as part of a large transaction including nine gold proof sets; Robert Garrett; John Work Garrett; Johns Hopkins University; Garrett Collection, Part III (Bowers and Ruddy, 10/1980), lot 1668; Worrell Family Collection ( Superior' 5/1989), lot 5627.
7. PR63 PCGS. Rarities Sale (Bowers and Merena, 1/1997), lot 333.
8. PR63 NGC. William Cutler Atwater Collection (B. Max Mehl, 6/1946), lot 1438; Amon Carter Collection (Stack's, 1/1984), lot 762; Ed Trompeter Collection.
9. PR60 ANACS. L.W. Hoffecker Collection (Superior, 2/1987), lot 4195.
A. Proof. F.C.C. Boyd; World's Greatest Collection (Numismatic Gallery, 1/1946), lot 665; Jacob Shapiro (a.k.a. J.F. Bell); Memorable Collection (Numismatic Gallery, 3/1948), lot 559.
B. Proof. Public Auction Sale (Kreisberg-Schulman, 2/1960), lot 2790.
C. Proof. Wolfson Collection (Stack's, 10/1962), lot 678.
D. Proof. Central States Convention Auction (Kagin's, 4/1979), lot 886.
E. Proof. J. F. Bell Collection (Stack's, 1944), lot 624.
F. Brilliant Proof. Lorin G. Parmelee; Parmelee Collection (New York Coin & Stamp, 6/1890), lot 1310.
G. Brilliant Proof. William H. Woodin Collection (Thomas Elder, 3/1911), lot 1224.
This coin traces its history to several famous collections, including that of King Farouk of Egypt and Harry W. Bass, Jr. When this specimen was offered in the June 2004 American Numismatic Rarities sale, they wrote that it "compares easily and favorably to Bass: 1473 (October 1999) for quality and appeal," failing to recognize it as the same coin.
This near-Gem Deep Cameo proof is tied with one other coin for the finest that PCGS has certified (3/14). Both sides have rich orange-gold fields with lighter yellow-gold devices that exhibit full design details. Our roster shows that this piece, the other PR64 Deep Cameo PCGS coin, and the two Smithsonian coins are all approximately tied for top grade honors.(Registry values: P5) (PCGS# 98796)
Service and Handling Description: Coins & Currency (view shipping information)
Sales Tax information | PCGS Guarantee of Grade and Authenticity | Terms and Conditions
Bidding Guidelines and Bid Increments
Glossary of Terms
Buyer's Premium per Lot:
17.5% of the successful bid (minimum $14) per lot.
Floor auctionsOpen for bidding: (View All)
Ends on 12/03/2015
Fine & Rare Wine
Ends on 12/04/2015
Jewelry & Timepieces
Ends on 12/07/2015
Ends on 12/08/2015
Ends on 12/09/2015
Ends on 12/10/2015
Ends on 12/10/2015
World & Ancient Coins
Ends on 12/11/2015
Civil War & Militaria
Ends on 12/12/2015
Arms & Armor
Ends on 12/13/2015
Comics & Comic Art
Ends on 12/13/2015
Ends on 12/18/2015
sold in the last year
- Past Auction Values (prices, photos, full descriptions, etc.)
- Bid online
- Free Collector newsletter
- Want List with instant e-mail notifications
- Reduced auction commissions when you resell your