Likely Unique 1841 Seated Dime, PR63 Cameo
1841 10C PR63 Cameo NGC. An unknown but undoubtedly
minuscule number of proof dimes were struck in 1841, and today they
are known from perhaps only a single example each in the No Drapery
and With Drapery variations. NGC has certified two coins: The
present With Drapery coin, formerly in the Richmond and Phil
Kaufman collections, is certified PR63 Cameo at NGC -- a coin we
have handled twice previously -- and that service has also
certified a single No Drapery 1841 in PR53.
The Richmond-Phil Kaufman Example
The No Drapery dimes, lacking the folds of fabric at Liberty's elbow, were produced via drastic die polishing rather than being struck from a true No Drapery obverse die. The No Drapery dime is known only in proof format, according to Brian Greer's series reference.
The present With Drapery proof is a piece that is likely unique -- not a phrase we are fond of using, but one that best describes this piece, as it is possible but highly unlikely that another unrecorded proof may exist. The most notable marks for pedigree purposes are a short scratch between the rock and star 1 on the obverse, a thin scratch on the reverse out from the E in ONE and the E in DIME, and some planchet roughness just below the IM of DIME. The impressive strike has produced crisp definition on the mildly frosted design elements, helping to enhance even more their contrast with the unfathomably deep field reflectivity. The bright surfaces display a warm gold-champagne cast, accented with speckles of soft sky-blue and beige patina. Were it not for a few inoffensive hairlines in the obverse fields and the faint contact marks, this delightful piece would grade even higher. An outstanding piece, equally historic and rare. Census: 1 in 63 Cameo, 0 finer (8/12).
1841 Proof Dime Roster
The two No Drapery citations may actually represent the same coin, as Boyd supposedly acquired the number 2 piece in the early 1940s, the same time the coin in number 1 came on the market.
The With Drapery coin Walter Breen mentions belonging to a "New York specialist" was lot 588 of the John Jay Pittman Collection (David Akers, 10/1997), earlier lot 997 of B. Max Mehl's sale of the Allenberger Collection (3/1948). Akers believed the coin was a prooflike business strike, not a proof.
--With Drapery Proof Dime
1. PR63 Cameo NGC. ANA Sale (Heritage, 7/1994), lot 6454, $38,500; Halpern and Warner collections (Bowers and Merena, 3/1997), lot 2215, $14,300; Richmond Collection (David Lawrence, 3/2005), lot 1236, $46,000; Phil Kaufman Collection / FUN Signature (Heritage, 1/2008), lot 3019, $63,250. The present coin.
--No Drapery Proof Dime
1. Proof. An example from a silver/minor proof set mentioned in Numismatic Review, volume I, issue 3, page 29 (1943). Possibly from Colonel E.H.R. Green's collection; untraced since.
2. PR53 NGC. F.C.C. Boyd; World's Greatest Collection (Numismatic Gallery, 5/1945), lot 519, realized $75; 57th Sale (New Netherlands,12/1963), lot 466; Sale of the Seventies (Kagin, 11/1973), lot 1107; ANA Sale (Heritage, 7/1993), lot 5212, realized $46,750; Long Beach Signature (Heritage, 10/2001), lot 6029, realized $47,500.
From The Greensboro Collection, Part I. (NGC ID# 23BU, PCGS# 84728)
View all of [The Greensboro Collection, Part I ]
Service and Handling Description: Coins & Currency (view shipping information)
Sales Tax information | NGC Coin Grading Guarantee | Terms and Conditions
Bidding Guidelines and Bid Increments
Glossary of Terms
Buyer's Premium per Lot:
17.5% of the successful bid (minimum $14) per lot.
Floor auctionsOpen for bidding: (View All)
Ends on 12/03/2015
Fine & Rare Wine
Ends on 12/04/2015
Jewelry & Timepieces
Ends on 12/07/2015
Ends on 12/08/2015
Ends on 12/09/2015
Ends on 12/10/2015
Ends on 12/10/2015
World & Ancient Coins
Ends on 12/11/2015
Civil War & Militaria
Ends on 12/12/2015
Arms & Armor
Ends on 12/13/2015
Comics & Comic Art
Ends on 12/13/2015
Ends on 12/18/2015
sold in the last year
- Past Auction Values (prices, photos, full descriptions, etc.)
- Bid online
- Free Collector newsletter
- Want List with instant e-mail notifications
- Reduced auction commissions when you resell your