- Keyword Search
Captivating 1843 Dime, PR66 Cameo
1843 10C PR66 Cameo NGC. Ex: Kaufman. This extraordinary
dime is one of perhaps nine or so survivors from an undetermined,
but undoubtedly limited proof production. Its PR66 Cameo
designation is the finest of 13 coins certified by NGC and
The Finest Certified
Some of the great collections, including Eliasberg, Lovejoy, Starr, and (James) Stack, lacked this extremely rare proof. The Norweb Collection contained one example, and one was included in Amon Carter's 1843 Proof Set. The John Jay Pittman Collection had two 1843 proof dimes, one that was in his 1843 Proof Set.
The following is a roster of specimens known to us:
1. PR66 Cameo NGC. The Kaufman coin.
2. PR66 NGC. 1946 ANA Sale (Numismatic Gallery, 8/1946), lot 266; John Jay Pittman Collection (David Akers, 10/1997), lot 595; Bowers and Merena (8/1998), lot 107; Bowers and Merena (1/1999), lot 1083; Bowers and Merena (8/1999), lot 105.
3. PR65 NGC. Superior (1/2004), lot 214.
4. PR64 NGC. John Jay Pittman Collection (David Akers, 10/1997), lot 832 (part of an 1843 Proof Set); Richmond Sale, Part III (David Lawrence Rare Coins, 3/2005), lot 1238.
5. PR64 NGC. Bowers and Merena (8/1998), lot 107; Bowers and Merena (1/2000), lot 116; Superior (10/2000), lot 4341; Superior (6/2002), lot 4159.
6. Proof 63 or finer. From Thomas L. Elder, circa 1908-1910; The Norweb Collection (Bowers and Merena, 10/1987), lot 469.
7. PR62 PCGS. The Kissel and Victoria Collections (Bowers and Merena, 9/1989), lot 185.
8. Brilliant Proof. Will W. Neil Collection; Amon G. Carter, Jr. Family Collection (Stack's, 1/1984), lot 630 (part of an 1843 Proof Set).
9. Proof. Smithsonian Institution.
Another nine or so 1843 proof dime appearances are to be found, most of which are likely duplicates of one or more of the above.
This captivating Premium Gem Cameo proof, with its deep mirrored fields and frosty motifs, jumps out at the observer. Moreover, a well executed strike delivers bold definition to the design elements, including complete separation of Liberty's foot and sandal, full detail on the star radials, and complete leaf-ribbing. A truly wonderful coin with impeccably preserved, untoned surfaces. The obverse has a small die chip on the rim at 9:00, which is diagnostic on all proof examples of this issue.
From The Phil Kaufman Collection of Early Proof Sets, Part Four. (NGC ID# 23C3, PCGS# 84730)
View all of [Phil Kaufman Collection of Early Proof Sets, Part Four ]
Service and Handling Description: Coins & Currency (view shipping information)
Sales Tax information | NGC Coin Grading Guarantee | Terms and Conditions
Bidding Guidelines and Bid Increments
Glossary of Terms
Buyer's Premium per Lot:
15% of the successful bid (minimum $9) per lot.
Opens about 02/08/2016
Luxury Real Estate
Opens about 12/31/2015
Opens about 02/12/2016
Opens about 02/22/2016
Opens about 03/04/2016
Opens about 03/07/2016
Fine & Rare Wine
Opens about 03/14/2016
Opens about 03/17/2016
Opens about 03/18/2016
- Past Auction Values (prices, photos, full descriptions, etc.)
- Bid online
- Free Collector newsletter
- Want List with instant e-mail notifications
- Reduced auction commissions when you resell your