Outstanding 1846 Gem Proof Dime
1846 10C PR65 NGC. Ex: Pittman-Kaufman. While we have not
seen all proof dimes of this date that are currently extant, we
believe the Kaufman specimen is the finest known, or at least tied
for the finest known. Our ambivalence stems from inspection of the
population figures that show two PR65 pieces, both NGC-graded. The
Pittman-Kaufman coin, however, is the only Gem that we have come
Among the Finest Known
In addition to the two Gem proof dimes, NGC has certified a PR64, three Select specimens, and a PR62. PCGS has seen one near-Gem, five PR63 coins, and two PR62 examples. An unknown number of these 16 pieces are likely resubmissions. Indeed, the consensus among numismatists is that about 10 specimens have survived to the present day.
Our roster identifies the following:
1. PR65 NGC. The Kaufman specimen. John Jay Pittman (David Akers, 5/1998), lot 1712. Akers writes of this specimen: "Numismatic Gallery (1949). Probably from Ed Frossard's November 4, 1892 sale which contained a complete 1846 Proof set with gold, the only such set known to have been offered at auction in the past. Part of a complete original cased set."
2. PR64 NGC. Louis E. Eliasberg, Sr. Collection (Bowers and Merena, 5/1996), lot 1133; Phil Kaufman; Rarities Sale (Bowers and Merena, 8/1999), lot 107.
3. PR64. The William Cutler Atwater Collection (Max Mehl, 6/1946), lot 441; Floyd T. Starr Collection (Stack's, 10/1992), lot 363.
4. PR64. The Garrett Collection (Bowers and Ruddy, 10/1980), lot 1613. Catalogers say: "Provenance not known, but probably obtained by T. Harrison Garrett during the 19th century."
5. PR63 PCGS. Ira and Larry Goldberg (6/2002), lot 2147.
6. PR63 NGC. Julius Turoff Collection (Bowers and Ruddy, 11/1976), lot 336; Allen F. Lovejoy Collection (Stack's, 10/1990), lot 235.
7. Proof. Smithsonian Institution.
A. PR64 NGC. Superior (10/2000), lot 4342.
B. PR63 NGC. The Richmond Collection (David Lawrence, 3/2005), lot 1241.
C. PR63 PCGS. Heritage (5/2003), lot 5912.
D. PR63 NGC. Superior (6/2002), lot 4161.
E. PR63 ANACS. Superior (10/2000), lot 4343.
F. Choice to Gem Brilliant Proof. The Waldo E. Bolen Collection of U.S. Dimes (Stack's, RARCOA, Akers, 11/1995), lot 2076.
G. Proof 62/63. The Rarities Sale (Bowers and Merena, 8/1998), lot 109.
Attractive medium russet, gold, and cobalt-blue toning adorns both sides of this wonderful Gem. Impeccably preserved surfaces display mirrorlike fields that accentuate the motifs, especially when the coin is tilted slightly under a light source. A well executed strike delivers virtually complete delineation to the design elements, including full separation of Liberty's foot and sandal, and crispness on the star centrils and the leaf venation. Prominent recutting is visible on 46 of the date, and a lint mark touches both stars 6 and 7 as well as a denticle. There is a long, raised die engraver's line in the field from the bottom of the cap to the drapery. Overall, this piece yields outstanding technical quality and eye appeal.
From The Phil Kaufman Collection of Early Seated Proof Sets, Part Three. (NGC ID# 23C2, PCGS# 4733)
View all of [The Phil Kaufman Collection of Early Seated Proof Sets, Part Three ]
Service and Handling Description: Coins & Currency (view shipping information)
Sales Tax information | NGC Coin Grading Guarantee | Terms and Conditions
Bidding Guidelines and Bid Increments
Glossary of Terms
Buyer's Premium per Lot:
15% of the successful bid (minimum $9) per lot.
Floor auctionsOpen for bidding: (View All)
Ends on 12/03/2015
Fine & Rare Wine
Ends on 12/04/2015
Jewelry & Timepieces
Ends on 12/07/2015
Ends on 12/08/2015
Ends on 12/09/2015
Ends on 12/10/2015
Ends on 12/10/2015
World & Ancient Coins
Ends on 12/11/2015
Civil War & Militaria
Ends on 12/12/2015
Arms & Armor
Ends on 12/13/2015
Comics & Comic Art
Ends on 12/13/2015
Ends on 12/18/2015
sold in the last year
- Past Auction Values (prices, photos, full descriptions, etc.)
- Bid online
- Free Collector newsletter
- Want List with instant e-mail notifications
- Reduced auction commissions when you resell your