Choice Proof 1841 Seated Dollar
1841 $1 PR64 PCGS. Ex: Pittman. The 1841 proof Seated
Liberty dollar is one of the great rarities of the series, with an
estimated mintage of just 10-15 pieces, and this coin is the finest
of perhaps only five surviving examples. NGC has graded four proof
specimens of this date, all in PR63, while PCGS has certified only
this coin, in a finest known grade of PR64 (3/13). When David Akers
cataloged this identical coin in his sale of the John Jay Pittman
Collection, he compiled a roster of the five specimens known to
him, which we have updated below, with the grade of each coin as
listed in its last auction appearance.
Great Series Rarity
Finest Known, Ex: Pittman
Roster of 1841 Proof Seated Dollars
1. PR64 PCGS. Hollinbeck Coin Co. (2/1953), lot 29; John Jay Pittman Collection (David Akers, 5/1998), lot 1672; Richmond Collection (David Lawrence, 11/2004), lot 1506; Rod Sweet Collection (Bowers and Merena, 7/2005), lot 1002, which realized $166,750; the present coin.
2. PR63 NGC. Col. E.H.R. Green; Jack Roe (B. Max Mehl, 6/1945), lot 435; Jerome Kern; Golden Jubilee Sale (B. Max Mehl, 5/1950), lot 811; Amon G. Carter, Jr. Collection (Stack's, 1/1984), lot 247; Queller Collection of Silver Dollars (Heritage, 4/2008), lot 2138.
3. PR63 NGC. George B. Hussey (J.C. Morgenthau, 3/1940), lot 123; Floyd T. Starr (Stack's, 10/1992), lot 581; Superior (7/1993), lot 553; Kenneth C. Long (Bowers and Merena, 5/1995), lot 1211; Phil Kaufman Collection of Early Seated Proof Sets, Part II (Heritage, 1/08), lot 3022, which realized $74,750.
4. PR63 NGC. Louis E. Eliasberg, Sr. (Bowers and Merena, 4/1997), lot 2205; Dr. John L. Pellegrini (Heritage, 7/2005), lot 10257, which realized $74,750.
5. Proof. National Numismatic Collection, Smithsonian Institution.
A. Haseltine Sale (John W. Haseltine, 6/1880), lot 874, realized $7.75 to George Davis; Davis-Graves Collection (Stack's, 2/1954), lot 1338. Not plated. Described as "Proof. Very small stars. Very rare. From Haseltine Collection."
B. Waldo Newcomer; F.C.C. Boyd; World's Greatest Collection (Numismatic Gallery, 1/1945), lot 128.
C. Virgil Brand Estate; J.H. South (Stack's, 5/1951), lot 803.
D. David Golding (Stack's, 6/1952). Possibly the same as A.
E. 1962 New York Metropolitan (Stack's, 1/1962), lot 1624.
F. Impaired Proof. S.S. Forrest, Jr. Collection (Stack's, 9/1972), lot 992.
G. Chamberlin Collection (Harmer Rooke, 8/1987), $3,520.
H. Impaired Proof. Greater New York Convention (Stack's, 9/1987), lot 1493.
I. Bernard Shore Collection (Superior, 1/1988), lot 2235. This piece is described by Superior as "Possible Proof 60." The catalog plate (color and black and white) does not suggest a proof coin.
The obverse of this incredible Choice specimen is blanketed in vivid shades of golden-brown, violet, and cobalt-blue toning. The reverse displays an equally intense blend of violet, blue, and reddish-gold. The design elements exhibit razor-sharp definition throughout and the fields are deeply mirrored, under the patina. The well-preserved surfaces show only insignificant signs of contact and a few minor hairlines are hard to see because of the toning. Eye appeal is incredible and technical quality is the finest available. This lot represents a tremendous opportunity for the advanced specialist. Population: 1 in 64, 0 finer (3/13).
From The Greensboro Collection, Part III.(Registry values: N7079) (NGC ID# 24ZR, PCGS# 6982)
View all of [The Greensboro Collection, Part III ]
Service and Handling Description: Coins & Currency (view shipping information)
Sales Tax information | PCGS Guarantee of Grade and Authenticity | Terms and Conditions
Bidding Guidelines and Bid Increments
Glossary of Terms
Buyer's Premium per Lot:
17.5% of the successful bid (minimum $14) per lot.
Floor auctionsOpen for bidding: (View All)
Ends on 12/03/2015
Fine & Rare Wine
Ends on 12/04/2015
Jewelry & Timepieces
Ends on 12/07/2015
Ends on 12/08/2015
Ends on 12/09/2015
Ends on 12/10/2015
Ends on 12/10/2015
World & Ancient Coins
Ends on 12/11/2015
Civil War & Militaria
Ends on 12/12/2015
Arms & Armor
Ends on 12/13/2015
Comics & Comic Art
Ends on 12/13/2015
Ends on 12/18/2015
sold in the last year
- Past Auction Values (prices, photos, full descriptions, etc.)
- Bid online
- Free Collector newsletter
- Want List with instant e-mail notifications
- Reduced auction commissions when you resell your