1842 $1 PR63 NGC....
|Sold for:||Sign-in or Join (free & quick)|
|Claim Item:||Sign-in or Join (free & quick)|
|Auction Ended On:||Apr 17, 2008|
8 Internet/mail/phone bidders
942 page views
Select Proof 1842 Seated Dollar1842 $1 PR63 NGC. Beautifully toned in peripheral autumn-brown and cobalt-blue, as were so many silver dollars from the famous Amon Carter auction. The strike is slightly soft on the peak of the eagle's left (facing) wing, but remaining design details are sharp. A few wispy hairlines on the right obverse field are appropriate for the grade.
Second Rarest Proof Date
Second Rarest Proof Date
Numismatist Duncan Lee published a study of proof Seated dollars in the August 2006 supplement to the Coin Dealer Newsletter. There, he listed the 1842 as the second rarest proof date of the series. We are able to trace only the following auction appearances of certified proofs:
1. PR65 NGC. Norweb Collection, Part III (Bowers and Merena, 11/1988), lot 3780; Phil Kaufman Collection of Early Seated Proof Sets, offered elsewhere in the present sale.
2. PR63 NGC. The present coin. Golden Jubilee Sale (B. Max Mehl, 5/1950), lot 812; Amon G. Carter, Jr. Collection (Stack's, 1/1984), lot 248; David Queller Collection.
3. PR63 NGC. Sunshine Collection (Superior, 9/2003), lot 2079; Dr. John L. Pellegrini Collection (Heritage, 7/2005), lot 10258; FUN Signature (Heritage, 1/2007), lot 1059, which realized $46,000.
4. PR62 PCGS. Lester Merkin (9/1967), lot 271; Lester Merkin (10/1969), lot 376, which realized $875; John Jay Pittman Collection (David Akers, 5/1998), lot 1673, which realized $30,800; FUN Signature (Heritage, 1/1999), lot 6950; Sacramento ANA (Heritage, 3/1999), lot 6511; Morris Silverman Collection (Heritage, 4/2002), lot 4072; Bowers and Merena (5/2004), lot 253; Rod Sweet Collection (Bowers and Merena, 7/2005), lot 1003; Denver ANA Auction (Bowers and Merena, 8/2006), lot 2345, which realized $28,750.
5. PR61 NGC. Superior (10/1990), lot 3718, which realized $6,600; Anaheim ANA (Heritage, 8/1995), lot 6550; Long Beach Signature (Heritage, 10/1995), lot 6059, which realized $3,630; Richmond Sale, Part II (David Lawrence, 11/2004), lot 1507, which realized $22,425.
From The Queller Family Collection of Silver Dollars.(Registry values: N7079) (NGC ID# 24ZS, PCGS# 6983)
Service and Handling Description: Coins & Currency (view shipping information)
Guides and Pricing Information:
Find Auction Prices for Comparable Items: