1846 $1 PR65 PCGS....
|Sold for:||Sign-in or Join (free & quick)|
|Claim Item:||Sign-in or Join (free & quick)|
|Auction Ended On:||May 28, 2008|
8 Internet/mail/phone bidders
8,146 page views
Long Beach Convention Center
Fully struck, gorgeously preserved, and originally patinated in deep shades of sea-green, golden-brown, and canary-gold. An exceptional Gem exceeded in third-party grade only by the Kaufman specimen from our recent Central States Signature.
The standards for what is considered a proof striking have tightened since the advent of PCGS and NGC. Research of auction records reveals the following appearances of proof 1846 Seated dollars certified by those two services, ranked in order of prices realized:
1. PR66 NGC. Phil Kaufman Collection of Early Seated Proof Sets, Part Three (Heritage, 4/2008), lot 2387, which realized $92,000.
2. PR65 PCGS. Allen Harriman (Superior, 1974), lot 1623; Jerry Buss Sale (Superior, 1/1985), lot 1343; Jascha Heifetz Collection (Superior, 10/1989), lot 3824, which realized $46,200.
3. PR64 NGC. Long Beach Bullet (Heritage, 2/2002), lot 817; Rarities Sale (Bowers and Merena, 5/2004), lot 255, which realized $34,500.
4. PR64 NGC. F.C.C. Boyd (World's Greatest) Collection (Numismatic Gallery), lot 135; Adolphe Menjou (Numismatic Gallery, 6/1950), lot 2091; John J. Pittman Collection, Part Two (David Akers, 5/1998), lot 1674; Richmond Collection (David Lawrence, 11/2004), lot 1511; Jack Lee Collection, III (Heritage, 11/2005), lot 2234, which realized $32,200.
5. PR64 NGC. John Work Garrett Collection (Stack's, 3/1976), lot 262; Riverly Collection (Heritage, 8/1998), lot 8193; Morris Silverman Collection (Heritage, 4/2002), lot 4074; Rod Sweet Collection (Bowers and Merena, 7/2005), lot 1007, which realized $27,500.
6. PR64 NGC. Fairchild Family Trust Collection (Ira & Larry Goldberg, 5/2001), lot 864, which realized $23,000.
7. PR63 NGC. Amon G. Carter, Jr. Collection (Stack's, 1/1984), lot 252; Queller Family Collection of Silver Dollars (Heritage, 4/2008), lot 2143, which realized $21,850.
8. PR62 NGC. Rarities Sale (Bowers and Merena, 7/1997), lot 244; Dr. John L. Pellegrini Collection (Heritage, 7/2005), lot 10262; FUN Signature (Heritage, 1/2007), lot 1062, which realized $14,950.
9. PR64 NGC. E-Fair Signature (Heritage, 10/1999), lot 5320, unsold.
From The Silbermünzen Collection.(Registry values: N10218) (NGC ID# 24ZW, PCGS# 6987)
Service and Handling Description: Coins & Currency (view shipping information)