1847 $1 PR65 NGC....
Wonderful 1847 Dollar, PR651847 $1 PR65 NGC. Ex: P. Kaufman. The 1847 dollar is extremely rare in proof format. The Phil Kaufman specimen, from the Floyd T. Starr Collection, is tied for the finest certified.
Tied for Finest Certified
Tied for Finest Certified
Exact mintage figures for the 1847 proof dollar are unknown, but are generally estimated to be between 20 and 30 pieces. David Akers (1998) suggests 10 to 12 examples are known, while David Bowers, in A Buyer's Guide to Silver Dollars & Trade Dollars of the United States, estimates the number of survivors to be in the seven to 14 range. Weimar White, in his Liberty Seated Dollar reference, estimates that fewer than 10 specimens are extant, and Walter Breen, in his Proof Encyclopedia, lists nine examples. NGC and PCGS, on the other hand, have graded a total of 22 coins, an unknown number of which are probably resubmissions.
We have recorded at least 30 1847 proof dollar appearances in auctions conducted over the last several decades. From these, along with information provided in the listings of previous catalogers, the following roster of 1847 proof dollars is derived:
1. PR65 NGC. The Kaufman coin. Barney Bluestone (9/1940), lot 623; Floyd T. Starr Collection (Stack's, 10/1992), lot 589; Superior (7/1993), lot 555; Heritage (6/1995), lot 5670.
2. PR65. Floyd T. Starr Collection (Stack's, 10/1992), lot 588.
3. PR65 NGC. The Boys Town Collection (Bowers and Merena, 3/1998), lot 1445; Morris Silverman Collection (Heritage, 4/2002), lot 4075
4. PR64 NGC. Frederic Geiss Sale (B. Max Mehl, 2/1947), lot 342; John J. Pittman Collection, Part II (David Akers, 5/1998), lot 1677; Richmond Collection, part II (David Lawrence Rare Coins, 11/2004), lot 1512.; Heritage (11/2005), lot 2235.
5. PR64 PCGS. Bowers and Merena (1/1994), lot 1284.
6. PR64 PCGS. 1995 ANA (Heritage, 8/1995), lot 6552; Heritage (10/1995), lot 6060.
7. PR63 ANACS. Heritage (2/2006), lot 1676.
8. Proof. Smithsonian Institution.
A. PR64 PCGS. Heritage (1/2000), lot 6988.
B. PR64 PCGS. Ira and Larry Goldberg (6/2002), lot 2357.
C. PR64 NGC. Heritage (11/2005), lot 1008.
D. PR62. Louis E. Eliasberg, Sr. Collection (Bowers and Merena/Stack's, April 1997), lot 2214.
E. PR60 or finer. The Norweb Collection (Bowers and Merena, 11/1998), lot 3147.
F. Proof. Anderson Dupont, part II (Stack's, 11/1954), lot 2523.
The Kaufman Gem proof dollar is nearly untoned, save for the slightest hint of incipient gold color concentrated at the margins, and the mirrored fields of both sides appear to highlight the design elements, irrespective of the angle from which the coin is viewed. An attentive strike imparts crispness throughout. Not only are the star centrils complete, but the straps on Liberty's foot stand out, as does the foot-sandal separation. The borders are squared off, and the impeccably preserved surfaces reveal little in the way of pedigree markers. A wonderful coin, with great overall appeal.
From The Phil Kaufman Collection of Early Proof Sets, Part Four.(Registry values: N7079) (NGC ID# 24ZX, PCGS# 6988)
Service and Handling Description: Coins & Currency (view shipping information)
Guides and Pricing Information:
Find Auction Prices for Comparable Items: