Wonderful 1847 Dollar, PR65
1847 $1 PR65 NGC. Ex: P. Kaufman. The 1847 dollar is
extremely rare in proof format. The Phil Kaufman specimen, from the
Floyd T. Starr Collection, is tied for the finest certified.
Tied for Finest Certified
Exact mintage figures for the 1847 proof dollar are unknown, but are generally estimated to be between 20 and 30 pieces. David Akers (1998) suggests 10 to 12 examples are known, while David Bowers, in A Buyer's Guide to Silver Dollars & Trade Dollars of the United States, estimates the number of survivors to be in the seven to 14 range. Weimar White, in his Liberty Seated Dollar reference, estimates that fewer than 10 specimens are extant, and Walter Breen, in his Proof Encyclopedia, lists nine examples. NGC and PCGS, on the other hand, have graded a total of 22 coins, an unknown number of which are probably resubmissions.
We have recorded at least 30 1847 proof dollar appearances in auctions conducted over the last several decades. From these, along with information provided in the listings of previous catalogers, the following roster of 1847 proof dollars is derived:
1. PR65 NGC. The Kaufman coin. Barney Bluestone (9/1940), lot 623; Floyd T. Starr Collection (Stack's, 10/1992), lot 589; Superior (7/1993), lot 555; Heritage (6/1995), lot 5670.
2. PR65. Floyd T. Starr Collection (Stack's, 10/1992), lot 588.
3. PR65 NGC. The Boys Town Collection (Bowers and Merena, 3/1998), lot 1445; Morris Silverman Collection (Heritage, 4/2002), lot 4075
4. PR64 NGC. Frederic Geiss Sale (B. Max Mehl, 2/1947), lot 342; John J. Pittman Collection, Part II (David Akers, 5/1998), lot 1677; Richmond Collection, part II (David Lawrence Rare Coins, 11/2004), lot 1512.; Heritage (11/2005), lot 2235.
5. PR64 PCGS. Bowers and Merena (1/1994), lot 1284.
6. PR64 PCGS. 1995 ANA (Heritage, 8/1995), lot 6552; Heritage (10/1995), lot 6060.
7. PR63 ANACS. Heritage (2/2006), lot 1676.
8. Proof. Smithsonian Institution.
A. PR64 PCGS. Heritage (1/2000), lot 6988.
B. PR64 PCGS. Ira and Larry Goldberg (6/2002), lot 2357.
C. PR64 NGC. Heritage (11/2005), lot 1008.
D. PR62. Louis E. Eliasberg, Sr. Collection (Bowers and Merena/Stack's, April 1997), lot 2214.
E. PR60 or finer. The Norweb Collection (Bowers and Merena, 11/1998), lot 3147.
F. Proof. Anderson Dupont, part II (Stack's, 11/1954), lot 2523.
The Kaufman Gem proof dollar is nearly untoned, save for the slightest hint of incipient gold color concentrated at the margins, and the mirrored fields of both sides appear to highlight the design elements, irrespective of the angle from which the coin is viewed. An attentive strike imparts crispness throughout. Not only are the star centrils complete, but the straps on Liberty's foot stand out, as does the foot-sandal separation. The borders are squared off, and the impeccably preserved surfaces reveal little in the way of pedigree markers. A wonderful coin, with great overall appeal.
From The Phil Kaufman Collection of Early Proof Sets, Part Four.(Registry values: N7079) (NGC ID# 24ZX, PCGS# 6988)
View all of [Phil Kaufman Collection of Early Proof Sets, Part Four ]
Service and Handling Description: Coins & Currency (view shipping information)
Sales Tax information | NGC Coin Grading Guarantee | Terms and Conditions
Bidding Guidelines and Bid Increments
Glossary of Terms
Buyer's Premium per Lot:
15% of the successful bid (minimum $9) per lot.
Floor auctionsOpen for bidding: (View All)
Ends on 12/03/2015
Fine & Rare Wine
Ends on 12/04/2015
Jewelry & Timepieces
Ends on 12/07/2015
Ends on 12/08/2015
Ends on 12/09/2015
Ends on 12/10/2015
Ends on 12/10/2015
World & Ancient Coins
Ends on 12/11/2015
Civil War & Militaria
Ends on 12/12/2015
Arms & Armor
Ends on 12/13/2015
Comics & Comic Art
Ends on 12/13/2015
Ends on 12/18/2015
sold in the last year
- Past Auction Values (prices, photos, full descriptions, etc.)
- Bid online
- Free Collector newsletter
- Want List with instant e-mail notifications
- Reduced auction commissions when you resell your
Learn about consigning with us
It has been a pleasure working with Heritage Auction and I hope to work with them on other estate auctions in the future. I look forward to an on-going relationship with Heritage Auction.View More Testimonials
HA.com receives more traffic than any other auction house website. To compare for yourself, visit: compete.com