- Keyword Search
Breathtaking 1848 Dollar, PR67
1848 $1 PR67 NGC. Ex: P. Kaufman. The Phil Kaufman 1848
proof dollar, displaying outstanding technical quality and
aesthetic appeal, is the finest known of nine distinct examples
known to us. The following roster updates the 1848 proof dollars
listing that appeared in our November 2005 Palm Beach Sale:
The Finest Known
1. PR67 NGC. The Kaufman coin.
2. PR66 NGC. 1997 ANA Sale (Heritage, 7/1997), lot 6521; Jack Lee Collection (Heritage, 11/2005), lot 2236.
3. PR64 NGC. Frederic Geiss Sale (B. Max Mehl, 2/1947), lot 343; John Jay Pittman Collection (David Akers, 5/1998), lot 1678; Richmond Sale II (David Lawrence Rare Coins, 11/2004), lot 1513.
4. PR64 NGC. Lester Merkin (9/1968), lot 344; Morris Silverman Collection (Heritage, 4/2002), lot 4076.
5. PR64 NGC. Kenneth C. Long Estate Collection (Bowers and Merena, 5/1995), lot 1218; Rod Sweet Collection (Bowers and Merena, 7/2005), lot 1009; Heritage (9/2005), lot 3762; New York Connoisseur's Collection (American Numismatic Rarities, 3/2006), lot 1091; Heritage (3/2007), lot 947.
6. PR62 NGC. Amon G. Carter, Jr. Family Collection (Stack's, 1/1984), lot 256; Queller Family Collection of Silver Dollars (Heritage, 4/2008), lot 2145.
7. PR62 PCGS. Dr. John L. Pellegrini Collection (Heritage ANA Auction, 7/2005), lot 10263; 2006 FUN Auction (Heritage, 1/2006), lot 3239.
8. PR62 PCGS. ANA World's Fair of Money (Heritage, 8/2007), lot 1727; Heritage (1/2007), lot 5211.
9. Proof. Smithsonian Institution.
A. PR64. Louis E. Eliasberg. Sr. Collection (Bowers and Merena, 4/1997), lot 2215.
B. Brilliant Proof. Barney Bluestone (9/1940), lot 624; Floyd T. Starr Collection (Stack's, 10/1992), lot 591.
C. Brilliant Proof. World's Greatest Collection (Numismatic Gallery, 1/1945) lot 139 (not plated).
D. Brilliant Proof. The Empire Collection (Stack's, 11/1957), lot 1732 (not plated).
E. Proof. Lorin G. Parmelee Collection (New York Stamp & Coin, 6/1890), lot 1189.
Both sides of the Superb Gem Kaufman 1848 proof dollar are awash in a mélange of soft violet, golden-orange, powder-blue, and greenish-gold patination. A powerful strike lends incredible delineation to the design elements, all of which are highlighted by the mirrored fields. Impeccably preserved surfaces, in conjunction with the above outstanding qualities, make for breathtaking eye appeal.
From The Phil Kaufman Collection of Early Proof Sets, Part Four.(Registry values: N14284) (NGC ID# 24ZY, PCGS# 6989)
View all of [Phil Kaufman Collection of Early Proof Sets, Part Four ]
Service and Handling Description: Coins & Currency (view shipping information)
Sales Tax information | NGC Coin Grading Guarantee | Terms and Conditions
Bidding Guidelines and Bid Increments
Glossary of Terms
Buyer's Premium per Lot:
15% of the successful bid (minimum $9) per lot.
Luxury Real Estate
Opens about 12/31/2015
Opens about 02/12/2016
Opens about 02/22/2016
Opens about 03/17/2016
Opens about 03/04/2016
Opens about 03/07/2016
Fine & Rare Wine
Opens about 03/14/2016
Opens about 03/17/2016
Opens about 03/18/2016
Opens about 03/15/2016
- Past Auction Values (prices, photos, full descriptions, etc.)
- Bid online
- Free Collector newsletter
- Want List with instant e-mail notifications
- Reduced auction commissions when you resell your
Learn about consigning with us
I have no doubt in my mind that Heritage Auction Galleries is by far the most professional and robust organization of its kind in the market.View More Testimonials
HA.com receives more traffic than any other auction house website. To compare for yourself, visit: compete.com