- Keyword Search
The Pittman 1849 Seated Dollar, PR651849 $1 PR65 NGC. The obverse has a tiny imperfection within the triangular opening of the 4. Tiny projections or rust pits are attached to the tips of three dentils below and left of the 1. The reverse is the usual proof die that has two tiny defects on the right diagonal of the final A.
The number of surviving 1849 proof Seated dollars is unknown, although various past estimates have placed the quantity in the range of six to 10 examples. David Akers claimed just six proofs survive, while Walter Breen recorded eight in his Proof Encyclopedia. Our roster that follows below provides an accounting of exactly eight different pieces, along with a few older auction appearances that are unmatched to the eight.
This piece is boldly struck with excellent obverse and reverse details, including bold rims and borders, sharp head details, complete feather details, and sharp claws and leaves. The faint violet surfaces are accompanied by traces of gold and blue, with considerable remaining silver brilliance. The fields are fully mirrored around lustrous devices, with considerable cameo contrast.
Roster of 1849 Proof Seated Dollars
1. PR67 NGC. Phil Kaufman (Heritage, 4/2008), lot 2392.
2. PR65 PCGS. Frederick Geiss (B. Max Mehl, 2/1947), lot 344; Floyd T. Starr (Stack's, 10/1992), lot 592; Larry Share Collection; American Numismatic Rarities (1/2005), lot 680; American Numismatic Rarities (7/2005), lot 1308.
3. PR65 NGC. Louis E. Eliasberg, Sr. (Bowers and Merena, 4/1997), lot 2216; Heritage (8/1998), lot 8195; Rod Sweet Collection (Bowers and Merena, 7/2005), lot 1010.
4. PR65 NGC. J.C. Randall (W. Elliot Woodward, 9/1885), lot 73; Garrett Collection (Stack's, 3/1976), lot 266; John Jay Pittman (David Akers, 5/1998), lot 1679; Richmond Collection (David Lawrence, 11/2004), lot 1514; Jack Lee Collection (Heritage, 11/2005), lot 2237; Heritage (12/2005), lot 13665.
5. PR64 NGC. Amon Carter Collection (Stack's, 1/1984), lot 257; Queller Family Collection (Heritage, 4/2008), lot 2146.
6. PR64 NGC. Kenneth C. Long (Bowers and Merena, 5/1995), lot 1219; Heritage (1/1996), lot 5638; Heritage (9/1997), lot 7170; Dr. John L. Pellegrini Collection (Heritage, 7/2005), lot 10264.
7. PR58 PCGS. Heritage 8/2004 6368 $13,800.00
8. Impaired Proof. Stack's (10/2000), lot 1240.
Proof. "Rovenski: 36" per Walter Breen.
Proof. Thomas Cleneay (S.H. & H. Chapman, 12/1890), lot 984.
Proof. Lorin G. Parmelee Collection (New York Coin and Stamp Co., 6/1890), lot 1200.
Proof. B. Max Mehl (5/1950), lot 820.
Proof. Col. E.H.R. Green; Jack Roe (B. Max Mehl, 6/1945), lot 445; David Golding (Stack's, 6/1952), lot 241.
Proof. Major Lenox Lohr (Stack's, 10/1956), lot 859. Unplated.
From The Estate of Jack Lee Collection.(Registry values: N10218) (NGC ID# 24ZZ, PCGS# 6990)
View all of [The Jack Lee Estate Collection ]
Service and Handling Description: Coins & Currency (view shipping information)
Sales Tax information | NGC Coin Grading Guarantee | Terms and Conditions
Bidding Guidelines and Bid Increments
Glossary of Terms
Buyer's Premium per Lot:
15% of the successful bid (minimum $9) per lot.
Floor auctionsOpen for bidding: (View All)
Ends on 12/03/2015
Fine & Rare Wine
Ends on 12/04/2015
Jewelry & Timepieces
Ends on 12/07/2015
Ends on 12/08/2015
Ends on 12/09/2015
Ends on 12/10/2015
Ends on 12/10/2015
World & Ancient Coins
Ends on 12/11/2015
Civil War & Militaria
Ends on 12/12/2015
Arms & Armor
Ends on 12/13/2015
Comics & Comic Art
Ends on 12/13/2015
Ends on 12/18/2015
sold in the last year
- Past Auction Values (prices, photos, full descriptions, etc.)
- Bid online
- Free Collector newsletter
- Want List with instant e-mail notifications
- Reduced auction commissions when you resell your