Marvelous 1849 Dollar, PR67
1849 $1 PR67 NGC. Ex: P. Kaufman. This is a fabulous coin,
and the finest known of perhaps seven or so examples. A true
favorite of Phil Kaufman because of the flawless fields and
extraordinarily beautiful original toning. NGC has certified just
three PR67 Seated dollars dated from 1840 to 1855, and all three
were part of the Phil Kaufman Collection. David Bowers, in
Silver Dollars and Trade Dollars of the United States
(1993), estimates an 1849 proof dollar mintage of eight to 12
pieces, and a survival rate of five to eight coins. David Akers
(1998) agrees with those estimates and indicates that he has been
able to identify only six distinct coins, with the possible
existence of another one or two specimens.
The Finest Known
Our research has uncovered seven different 1849 proof dollars:
1. PR67 NGC. The Kaufman coin.
2. PR65 NGC. John Work Garrett Collection (Stack's, 3/1976), lot 266; John Jay Pittman Collection (David Akers, 5/1998), lot 1679; Richmond Sale II (David Lawrence Rare Coins, 11/2004), lot 1514; Heritage (11/2005), lot 2237.
3. PR65 NGC. Louis E. Eliasberg, Sr.; Eliasberg Estate (Bowers and Merena, 4/1997), lot 2216; Rod Sweet Collection (Bowers and Merena, 7/2005), lot 1010. The coin is identifiable by a pair of contact marks over and behind the back of Liberty's head.
4. PR64 NGC. Dr. John Pellegrini Collection (Heritage, 7/2005), lot 10264.
5. PR63 PCGS. Kenneth C. Long Estate Collection (Bowers and Merena, 5/1995), lot 1219.
6. Choice Brilliant Proof. Floyd T. Starr Collection (Stack's, 10/1992), lot 592.
7. PR58 PCGS. 2004 ANA sale (Heritage, 8/2004), lot 6368. For pedigree purposes, we note on the plates a couple of small contact marks on Liberty's upper right (left facing) shoulder, and one left of the eagle's beak.
A. PR65 NGC. 1998 ANA (Heritage, 8/1998), lot 8195. Diagonal (northwest-southeast) hairlines in the fields of both sides are visible on the plates.
B. PR63 NGC. 1996 FUN Sale (Heritage, 1/1996), lot 5638; September 1997 Long Beach Sale (Heritage, 9/1997), lot 7170. Horizontal hairlines in the fields of both sides are visible on the plates.
Gorgeous toning enriches both sides of this marvelous Superb Gem proof. Splashes of aqua-blue, lavender, and golden-tan toning concentrate in the fields, taking on slightly deeper hues on the reverse. The Liberty motif is a soft blue-green, while the eagle and its shield are a mix of reddish-gold and blue-green. A solid strike imparts full delineation on the design elements, further adding to the coin's already outstanding eye appeal. Impeccably preserved surfaces preclude the identification of even the slightest pedigree marker. The beauty and rarity of the Kaufman coin cannot help but ensure spirited bidding.
From The Phil Kaufman Collection of Early Seated Proof Sets, Part Three.(Registry values: N14284) (NGC ID# 24ZZ, PCGS# 6990)
View all of [The Phil Kaufman Collection of Early Seated Proof Sets, Part Three ]
Service and Handling Description: Coins & Currency (view shipping information)
Sales Tax information | NGC Coin Grading Guarantee | Terms and Conditions
Bidding Guidelines and Bid Increments
Glossary of Terms
Buyer's Premium per Lot:
15% of the successful bid (minimum $9) per lot.
Floor auctionsOpen for bidding: (View All)
Ends on 12/03/2015
Fine & Rare Wine
Ends on 12/04/2015
Jewelry & Timepieces
Ends on 12/07/2015
Ends on 12/08/2015
Ends on 12/09/2015
Ends on 12/10/2015
Ends on 12/10/2015
World & Ancient Coins
Ends on 12/11/2015
Civil War & Militaria
Ends on 12/12/2015
Arms & Armor
Ends on 12/13/2015
Comics & Comic Art
Ends on 12/13/2015
Ends on 12/18/2015
sold in the last year
- Past Auction Values (prices, photos, full descriptions, etc.)
- Bid online
- Free Collector newsletter
- Want List with instant e-mail notifications
- Reduced auction commissions when you resell your