1849 $1 PR67 NGC....
|Sold for:||Sign-in or Join (free & quick)|
|Claim Item:||Sign-in or Join (free & quick)|
|Auction Ended On:||Apr 25, 2013|
7 Internet/mail/phone bidders
847 page views
Renaissance Schaumburg Convention Center Hotel
1551 North Thoreau Drive
Schaumburg, IL 60173
Superb Gem Proof 1849 Seated Dollar1849 $1 PR67 NGC. Ex: P. Kaufman. The 1849 proof Seated Liberty dollar is a fabulous rarity, and the present coin is the finest known of perhaps eight or so examples familiar to numismatists today. This piece was a highlight of Phil Kaufman's famous collection of early U.S. proof coinage because of its absolute rarity and unequalled technical quality, with flawless fields and extraordinarily beautiful original toning. NGC has certified just three PR67 Seated dollars dated from 1840 to 1855, and all three were part of the Phil Kaufman Collection.
Finest Known Example
Ex: Phil Kaufman
Finest Known Example
Ex: Phil Kaufman
Q. David Bowers, in Silver Dollars and Trade Dollars of the United States (1993), estimates the original proof mintage of 1849 Seated dollars at eight to 12 pieces, and a survival rate of five to eight coins. David Akers (1998) agrees with those estimates and indicates that he has been able to identify only six distinct coins, with the possible existence of another one or two specimens. Our research has uncovered eight different 1849 proof dollars, with some earlier citations that may be duplicates of the coins in the roster below.
Gorgeous toning enriches both sides of this marvelous Superb Gem proof. Splashes of aqua-blue, lavender, and golden-tan toning concentrate in the fields, taking on slightly deeper hues on the reverse. The Liberty motif is a soft blue-green, while the eagle and its shield are a mix of reddish-gold and bluish-green hues. The design elements are sharply detailed, further adding to the coin's already outstanding eye appeal. Impeccably preserved surfaces show no signs of contact. The beauty and rarity of this remarkable coin make this lot an important opportunity for the early proof specialist.
Roster of 1849 Proof Seated Liberty Dollars
1. PR67 NGC. Phil Kaufman Collection (Heritage, 4/2008), lot 2392, realized $230,000; the present coin.
2. PR65 NGC. J.C. Randall (W. Elliot Woodward, 9/1885), lot 73; Garrett Collection (Stack's, 3/1976), lot 266; John Jay Pittman (David Akers, 5/1998), lot 1679; Richmond Collection (David Lawrence, 11/2004), lot 1514; Jack Lee Collection (Heritage, 11/2005), lot 2237, which realized $80,500; Exclusively Internet Auction (Heritage, 12/2005), lot 13665; Jack Lee Estate (Heritage, 1/2009), lot 3963; Bay State Collection, Part II (Heritage, 7/2009), lot 1151; Pittsburgh Signature (Heritage, 10/2011), lot 3877.
3. PR65 PCGS. Frederick Geiss (B. Max Mehl, 2/1947), lot 344; Floyd T. Starr (Stack's, 10/1992), lot 592; Larry Share Collection; Kennywood Collection (American Numismatic Rarities, 1/2005), lot 680; William H. LaBelle, Sr. Collection (American Numismatic Rarities, 7/2005), lot 1308.
4. PR65 NGC. Louis E. Eliasberg, Sr. (Bowers and Merena, 4/1997), lot 2216; ANA Signature (Heritage, 8/1998), lot 8195; Rod Sweet Collection (Bowers and Merena, 7/2005), lot 1010.
5. PR64 NGC. Amon Carter Collection (Stack's, 1/1984), lot 257; Queller Family Collection (Heritage, 4/2008), lot 2146; Joseph C. Thomas Collection (Heritage, 4/2009), lot 2590; Internet Coin Auction (Heritage, 7/2009), lot 26928; Long Beach Signature (Heritage, 9/2009), lot 938.
6. PR64 NGC. Kenneth C. Long (Bowers and Merena, 5/1995), lot 1219; FUN Signature (Heritage, 1/1996), lot 5638; Long Beach Signature (Heritage, 9/1997), lot 7170; Dr. John L. Pellegrini Collection (Heritage, 7/2005), lot 10264.
7. PR58 PCGS. Pittsburgh ANA (Heritage, 8/2004), lot 6368.
8. Impaired Proof. 65th Anniversary Sale (Stack's, 10/2000), lot 1240.
A. Proof. "Rovenski: 36" per Walter Breen.
B. Proof. Thomas Cleneay (S.H. & H. Chapman, 12/1890), lot 984.
C. Proof. Lorin G. Parmelee Collection (New York Coin and Stamp Co., 6/1890), lot 1200; Edouard Frossard, per Walter Breen.
D. Proof. Jerome Kern (B. Max Mehl, 5/1950), lot 820.
E. Proof. Col. E.H.R. Green; Jack Roe (B. Max Mehl, 6/1945), lot 445; David Golding (Stack's, 6/1952), lot 241.
F. Proof. Major Lenox Lohr (Stack's, 10/1956), lot 859. Unplated.
G. Proof. Dr. Christian Allenburger Collection (B. Max Mehl, 3/1948), lot 1077.
H. Proof. An example exhibited by H.O. Granberg at the 1914 ANS Exhibition.
From The Greensboro Collection, Part III.(Registry values: N14284) (NGC ID# 24ZZ, PCGS# 6990)
Service and Handling Description: Coins & Currency (view shipping information)
Guides and Pricing Information:
Find Auction Prices for Comparable Items: