The Ex: Kaufman 1855 Seated Dollar, PR66 Cameo
1855 $1 PR66 Cameo NGC. Ex: P. Kaufman. The 1855 proof
Seated silver dollar formerly in the Kaufman Collection is the
finest of five Cameo pieces certified by NGC or PCGS. It also
shares with one other PR66 NGC coin the highest numeric grade of
perhaps 15 to 25 extant specimens.
Finest Cameo Example Certified
There is considerable disparity among numismatists in the number of 1855 proof dollars minted and the number of survivors. Mintage estimates range from 30 to 75 coins, with survivors numbered from 20 to as many as 60 examples.
Our estimates of mintage and survival lean more toward the lower end of those ranges. We base this conclusion partly on certified population figures showing a total of 37 1855 proof dollars, some surely resubmissions or crossovers. Moreover, we have recorded approximately 40 sales over the past 20 years in our auction database, of which a number are "reappearances."
The following 1855 proof dollar listing includes PR63 and finer examples. This grade range comprises the majority of certified coins, as well as auction appearances in our database:
1. PR66 Cameo NGC. The present Kaufman coin, which appears to match none of the following examples.
2. PR66 NGC. ANA World's Fair of Money (Heritage, 8/2007), lot 1728.
3. PR65 NGC. Louis E. Eliasberg, Sr.; Eliasberg Estate (Bowers and Merena, 4/1997), lot 2223; Rarities Sale (Bowers and Merena, 8/1999), lot 255.
4. PR65 PCGS. Sunshine Collection (Superior, 9/2003), lot 2093; Rod Sweet Collection (Bowers and Merena, 7/2005), lot 1016.
5. PR64 NGC. New Netherlands Coin Co. (privately, 7/10/1944); John Jay Pittman (David Akers, 5/1998), lot 1687; Richmond Collection II (David Lawrence Rare Coins, 11/2004), lot 1520.
6. PR64 PCGS. L.K. Rudolf Collection (Stack's, 5/2003), lot 2114.
7. PR63 NGC. Worrell Collection (Superior, 9/1993), lot 1315.
8. PR63 NGC. Pre-Long Beach (Superior, 10/2000), lot 4397; Allison Park Collection (American Numismatic Rarities, 8/2004), lot 587.
9. PR63 PCGS. William A. LaBelle, Sr. Collection (American Numismatic Rarities, 7/2005), lot 1311.
A. PR64 PCGS. Kenneth C. Long Collection (Bowers and Merena (5/1995), lot 1228.
B. PR64 NGC. Rarities Sale (Bowers and Merena, 8/1996), lot 234.
C. PR63. Harry W. Bass, Jr. Collection I (Bowers and Merena, 5/1999), lot 2023.
D. PR63. Norweb Collection (Bowers and Merena, 11/1988), lot 3804.
Mirrored fields accentuate the satiny motifs on both sides of this alluring Premium Gem, confirming the Cameo designation. A delicate mix of soft golden-beige and powder-blue patina displays whispers of subtle gold-brown accents around portions of the margins, and an impressive strike imparts virtual fullness to the design elements. Impeccably preserved surfaces render it difficult to isolate pedigree markers. Three or four minute toning spots on Liberty's portrait, and one on the upper right part of the obverse shield, may serve this purpose. A lovely Cameo whose level of preservation is unlikely to be surpassed.
Ex: Phil Kaufman Collection/Central States Signature (Heritage, 4/2008), lot 2399, which realized $74,750.(Registry values: N10218) (NGC ID# 2529, PCGS# 6998)
Service and Handling Description: Coins & Currency (view shipping information)
Sales Tax information | NGC Coin Grading Guarantee | Terms and Conditions
Bidding Guidelines and Bid Increments
Glossary of Terms
Buyer's Premium per Lot:
15% of the successful bid (minimum $14) per lot.
Floor auctionsOpen for bidding: (View All)
Ends on 12/03/2015
Fine & Rare Wine
Ends on 12/04/2015
Jewelry & Timepieces
Ends on 12/07/2015
Ends on 12/08/2015
Ends on 12/09/2015
Ends on 12/10/2015
Ends on 12/10/2015
World & Ancient Coins
Ends on 12/11/2015
Civil War & Militaria
Ends on 12/12/2015
Arms & Armor
Ends on 12/13/2015
Comics & Comic Art
Ends on 12/13/2015
Ends on 12/18/2015
sold in the last year
- Past Auction Values (prices, photos, full descriptions, etc.)
- Bid online
- Free Collector newsletter
- Want List with instant e-mail notifications
- Reduced auction commissions when you resell your