1852 H10C PR64 Cameo NGC....
|Sold for:||Sign-in or Join (free & quick)|
|Claim Item:||Sign-in or Join (free & quick)|
|Auction Ended On:||Jul 31, 2008|
9 Internet/mail/phone bidders
2,370 page views
The Only Certified Cameo Proof
At CoinFacts.com, the estimated proof mintage is 10 coins, although Breen enumerated 13 known examples in his Proof Encyclopedia. NGC and PCGS have each certified six specimens.
Based on examination of plated catalogs, we have identified seven separate 1852 proof half dimes:
1. PR66 PCGS. James Kelly (9/1945); Benson Collection II (Ira and Larry Goldberg, 2/2002), lot 393.
2. Gem Proof. David Bullowa (5/1952); John Jay Pittman Collection David Akers (10/1997), lot 490.
3. PR65 PCGS. Heritage (1/2007), lot 854.
4. PR64 Cameo NGC. The Kaufman example.
5. PR63 ANACS. L.W. Hoffecker Collection (Superior Galleries, 2/1987), lot 831; Superior Galleries (2/1998), lot 1794; Superior Galleries (10/2000), lot 4328; Superior Galleries (1/2004), lot 2266.
6. Proof. American Numismatic Society.
7. Proof. Smithsonian Institution (impaired, per Breen).
A. PR63 PCGS. Heritage Exclusively Internet Auction (4/2004), lot 11293; Heritage Exclusively Internet Auction (5/2004), lot 13160.
B. Brilliant Proof. O.H. Berg Collection (Haseltine, 5/1883), lot 755a; John Work Garrett Collection; The Johns Hopkins University (Stack's, 3/1976), lot 111.
C. Proof. Valentine coin (per Breen).
D. Proof. Newcomb coin (per Breen).
E. Proof. Menjou coin (per Breen).
F. Proof. Brand coin (per Breen).
Frosty design elements appear to be suspended above the deep watery fields of this amazing half dime, confirming the Cameo designation. Moreover, the essentially untoned surfaces exhibit fully struck design elements, and are nicely preserved throughout. A few stray hairlines interspersed with die polish lines in the fields preclude full Gem classification. Nevertheless, an outstanding coin with tremendous eye appeal.
From The Phil Kaufman Collection of Early Proof Sets, Part Four.(Registry values: P3) (PCGS# 84429)
Service and Handling Description: Coins & Currency (view shipping information)