Cameo PR64 1845 Half Dollar
1845 50C PR64 Cameo PCGS. CAC. The only Cameo proof 1845
half dollar certified at PCGS and NGC, and one of just four
certified proof 1845 half dollars at the two grading services. Our
roster records seven different specimens, including six available
to collectors. However, two of those have been absent from the
marketplace for more than 30 years. Heritage has handled three of
the other four specimens.
1. PR66 NGC. James Kelly (1946); John Jay Pittman (David Akers, 5/1998), lot 1711, as part of a complete 1845 proof set; Kaufman Collection; FUN Signature (Heritage, 1/2008), lot 3031.
2. PR64 Cameo PCGS. FUN Signature (Heritage, 1/2008), lot 2889; FUN Signature (Heritage, 1/2012), lot 3247, realized $57,500; the present coin.
3. PR64 NGC. F.C.C. Boyd; World's Greatest Collection (Numismatic Gallery, 4/1945), lot 273; Stack's (3/1965), lot 447; Superior Galleries (10/1990), lot 3662; Heritage (5/2008), lot 719.
4. PR63 PCGS. Louis E. Eliasberg, Sr.; Eliasberg Estate (Bowers and Merena, 4/1997), lot 1929; Phil Kaufman; Bowers and Merena (1/1999), lot 1142; Richmond Collection (David Lawrence, 3/2005), lot 1789; American Numismatic Rarities (6/2006), lot 1487.
5. Proof. Smithsonian Institution.
6. Proof. New England (7/1978), lot 878.
7. Proof. RARCOA (1/1973), lot 872
A stray die chip appears below the left side of the 8, perhaps a diagnostic feature of proofs. The same die chip is visible on plates of five different examples. Several vertical shield lines cross numerous horizontal lines of the shield on the reverse.
This specimen has excellent contrast with light gold toning and peripheral accents. Both sides have fully mirrored fields, and boldly defined, lustrous devices. A few trivial hairlines fail to detract from the overall beauty of this near-Gem Cameo proof. Population: 1 in 64 Cameo, 0 finer (12/12). (NGC ID# 27T7, PCGS# 86389)
Service and Handling Description: Coins & Currency (view shipping information)
Sales Tax information | PCGS Guarantee of Grade and Authenticity | Terms and Conditions
Bidding Guidelines and Bid Increments
Glossary of Terms
Buyer's Premium per Lot:
17.5% of the successful bid (minimum $14) per lot.
The Draped Bust Half Dollars of 1796-1797 by Jon Amato is the culmination of more than 10 years of research into the Draped Bust Small Eagle half dollar series, one of the most coveted type coins in American numismatics and one about which remarkably little has been written.
This work will be the premier reference for 1796-1797 half dollars for years to come. Institutions having an extensive numismatic library or coin cabinet will find it a valuable complement to their holdings, and catalogers charged with writing up specimens for auction can now have an indispensable source of background and pedigree information. Likewise, coin dealers seeking to purchase one or more '96 or '97 half dollars for a client or for inventory, and collectors who own, have owned, or desire to own one will want this important reference work for their libraries.
Order Now! Just $59.95
Floor auctionsOpen for bidding: (View All)
Ends on 12/03/2015
Fine & Rare Wine
Ends on 12/04/2015
Jewelry & Timepieces
Ends on 12/07/2015
Ends on 12/08/2015
Ends on 12/09/2015
Ends on 12/10/2015
Ends on 12/10/2015
World & Ancient Coins
Ends on 12/11/2015
Civil War & Militaria
Ends on 12/12/2015
Arms & Armor
Ends on 12/13/2015
Comics & Comic Art
Ends on 12/13/2015
Ends on 12/18/2015
sold in the last year
- Past Auction Values (prices, photos, full descriptions, etc.)
- Bid online
- Free Collector newsletter
- Want List with instant e-mail notifications
- Reduced auction commissions when you resell your
Learn about consigning with us
Several people contacted me who felt similarly about the way the auction was handled. At this point in my career I'm much more concerned with the respectful professionalism in all forms when it comes to my life's work. I truly appreciate your efforts in tView More Testimonials
HA.com receives more traffic than any other auction house website. To compare for yourself, visit: compete.com