Splendid 1849 Half Dollar, PR65
1849 50C PR65 NGC. Ex: P. Kaufman. This splendid Gem 1849
proof half dollar pedigrees to the Floyd Starr Collection, though
this is not indicated on the NGC insert. While NGC and PCGS have
certified a total of 10 specimens, at least three are probably
resubmissions, as numismatic researchers are in agreement that no
more than six or seven examples exist. An analysis of appearances
known to us results in the following roster:
Perhaps Six or Seven Known
1. PR66 NGC. John Jay Pittman (David Akers, 5/1998), lot 1536; Rarities Sale (Bowers and Merena, 8/1999), lot 205; George "Buddy" Byers (Stack's, 10/2006), lot 1150. (We are unable to locate an appearance of a PCGS-graded PR66; perhaps it is the same as this specimen.)
2. PR65 NGC. The Kaufman coin. Floyd T. Starr Collection (Stack's, 10/1992), lot 549; Superior (7/1993), lot 421.
3. PR64 NGC. The Richmond Sale, Part III (David Lawrence, 3/2005), lot 1793.
4. PR64 PCGS. Long Beach Sale (Heritage, 9/2005), lot 3265. Catalogers note that a contact mark on Liberty's eye brow identifies the coin.
A. PR64. Louis E. Eliasberg, Sr. Collection (Bowers and Merena, 4/1997), lot 1947.
B. Brilliant Proof. James A. Stack Collection (Stack's, 3/1975), lot 453.
C. Brilliant Proof. John Work Garrett Collection, Johns Hopkins University (Stack's, 3/1976), lot 214.
Iridescent cobalt-blue toning, imbued with splashes of orange and lavender, dominates the obverse of the Kaufman coin, while slightly deeper hues of blue uniformly spread across the reverse. A well executed strike imparts razor-sharp definition to the design elements. Close inspection reveals no mentionable contact marks or hairlines. A beautiful example of this extremely rare issue.
From The Phil Kaufman Collection of Early Seated Proof Sets, Part Three. (NGC ID# 27TB, PCGS# 6393)
View all of [The Phil Kaufman Collection of Early Seated Proof Sets, Part Three ]
Service and Handling Description: Coins & Currency (view shipping information)
Sales Tax information | NGC Coin Grading Guarantee | Terms and Conditions
Bidding Guidelines and Bid Increments
Glossary of Terms
Buyer's Premium per Lot:
15% of the successful bid (minimum $9) per lot.
The Draped Bust Half Dollars of 1796-1797 by Jon Amato is the culmination of more than 10 years of research into the Draped Bust Small Eagle half dollar series, one of the most coveted type coins in American numismatics and one about which remarkably little has been written.
This work will be the premier reference for 1796-1797 half dollars for years to come. Institutions having an extensive numismatic library or coin cabinet will find it a valuable complement to their holdings, and catalogers charged with writing up specimens for auction can now have an indispensable source of background and pedigree information. Likewise, coin dealers seeking to purchase one or more '96 or '97 half dollars for a client or for inventory, and collectors who own, have owned, or desire to own one will want this important reference work for their libraries.
Order Now! Just $59.95
Floor auctionsOpen for bidding: (View All)
Ends on 12/03/2015
Fine & Rare Wine
Ends on 12/04/2015
Jewelry & Timepieces
Ends on 12/07/2015
Ends on 12/08/2015
Ends on 12/09/2015
Ends on 12/10/2015
Ends on 12/10/2015
World & Ancient Coins
Ends on 12/11/2015
Civil War & Militaria
Ends on 12/12/2015
Arms & Armor
Ends on 12/13/2015
Comics & Comic Art
Ends on 12/13/2015
Ends on 12/18/2015
sold in the last year
- Past Auction Values (prices, photos, full descriptions, etc.)
- Bid online
- Free Collector newsletter
- Want List with instant e-mail notifications
- Reduced auction commissions when you resell your