1843 25C PR64 NGC....
|Sold for:||Sign-in or Join (free & quick)|
|Claim Item:||Sign-in or Join (free & quick)|
|Auction Ended On:||Jul 31, 2009|
6 Internet/mail/phone bidders
792 page views
Hyatt Regency Century Plaza
The date is about centered in the space between the border and Liberty, and appears to slant up slightly to the right. The shield point is between the 1 and 8, nearly over the left edge of the 8. Heavy die polish lines are visible along the right side of the obverse shield, and into the drapery to the right of the shield. Star 7 is slightly recut. Most of the vertical shield lines on the reverse extend far into the horizontal crossbars, and line 2 of stripe 2 appears to reach the top of the shield.
Research reveals only six examples of proof 1843 quarters in auction catalogs of recent decades. They include:
1. PR66 NGC. 1946 ANA Sale (Numismatic Gallery, 8/1946), lot 442 (unplated); John Jay Pittman Collection (David Akers, 5/1998), lot 1309; Phil Kaufman Collection (Heritage, 7/2008), lot 1808, which realized $74,750.
2. PR64 NGC. Thomas L. Smith Estate (Stack's, 6/1957), lot 529; Findley Collection (Heritage, 1/2009), lot 3763, which realized $32,200. The present specimen.
3. PR64 NGC. Dr. Christian A. Allenburger Collection (B. Max Mehl, 3/1948), lot 1015; Floyd T. Starr Collection (Stack's, 10/1992), lot 403; Bowers and Merena (8/1998), lot 155.
4. PR64 NGC. Judge Joseph F. Sawicki (5/1948); John Jay Pittman Collection (David Akers, 10/1997), lot 832 (part of an 1843 Proof Set); Heritage (8/2006), lot 5187.
5. Brilliant Proof. Will W. Neil Collection (B. Max Mehl MBS, 6/17/1947; Amon G. Carter, Jr. Family Collection (Stack's, 1/1984), lot 630 (part of an 1843 Proof Set).
6. Proof. Smithsonian Institution.
From The Bay State Collection, Part Two.(Registry values: P4) (NGC ID# 23W6, PCGS# 5537)
Service and Handling Description: Coins & Currency (view shipping information)