Skip to main content
Go to accessibility notice
IMPORTANT: In-person floor bidding is temporarily suspended and our offices are closed, except for scheduled appointments. See details including all options for bidding remotely.

    Description

    Exquisite Gem 1834 Classic Head Quarter Eagle
    Among the Finest Certified for the Type

    1834 $2 1/2 Classic MS65 NGC. Both sides have exquisite green-gold coloration with splashes of pale rose toning over reflective, near-prooflike surfaces. Trivial abrasions are consistent with the grade. Slight weakness in the central obverse is typical of the date. All remaining design details are bold and intricately defined.
    Despite the abundance of Classic Head quarter eagles minted and surviving, high grade examples are rare. NGC and PCGS combined have certified a mere 23 examples of this date in MS65, with only three finer coins. For the entire design type from 1834 to 1839, there are only 41 certified Gems, with nine finer. Such populations, for a date or an entire type, ensure that few collectors can hope to obtain a high quality coin.
    There are four die varieties known of the 1834 Classic Head quarter eagles, from two obverse dies and four reverse dies. Breen classified the obverse dies as Small Head and Large Head, although the difference is slight, about 1/32 inch. However, the two head styles are easy to distinguish: The Small Head has a straight vertical roll of hair curls behind the head, while the Large Head has a notched roll of curls. The Small Head style represents about 65% of all 1834 quarter eagles. The other 35%, including the present coin, are the Large Head type. Large Head, Wide AM, Breen-6140, McCloskey-A, R.3. Census: 16 in 65, 2 finer (6/09).
    From The Wisconsin Gold Type Set Collection.(Registry values: P1)

    Coin Index Numbers: (NGC ID# 25FS, PCGS# 7692)

    Weight: 4.18 grams

    Metal: 89.92% Gold, 10.08% Copper


    Learn more at the Newman Numismatic Portal at Washington University in St. Louis.

    View all of [The Wisconsin Gold Type Set Collection ]

    Auction Info

    Auction Dates
    Jul-Aug, 2009
    31st-2nd Friday-Sunday
    Bids + Registered Phone Bidders: 7
    Lot Tracking Activity: N/A
    Page Views: 951

    Buyer's Premium per Lot:
    15% of the successful bid (minimum $14) per lot.

    Classic Head Quarter Eagles Die Variety Guide

    The series of Classic Head quarter eagles issued from 1834 to 1839 includes 28 different individual die varieties. To date nothing has been published regarding each of the varieties. This guide provides identification and photos of the individual varieties with an of rarity for each variety.

    Download the guide

    Sold for: Sign-in or Join (free & quick)
    Track Item

    Heritage membership

    Join Now - It's Free

    VIEW BENEFITS
    1. Past Auction Values (prices, photos, full descriptions, etc.)
    2. Bid online
    3. Free Collector newsletter
    4. Want List with instant e-mail notifications
    5. Reduced auction commissions when you resell your
      winnings 
    Consign now
    • Cash Advances
    • More Bidders
    • Trusted Experts
    • Over 200,000 Satisfied Consignors Since 1976
    Only 18 days left to consign to the 2020 August 5 - 7 ANA Worlds' Fair of Money World Coins Signature Auction - Pittsburgh!

    Learn about consigning with us

    Thank you for your support and counsel during the process and I continue to be impressed by the skill and expertise of the Heritage Auction staff, as well as the clever web site.
    Bruce S.,
    Maplewood, NJ
    View More Testimonials

    HA.com receives more traffic than any other auction house website. (Source: Similarweb.com)

    Video tutorial

    Getting the most out of search