Select Mint State 1824 Five Dollar
1824 $5 MS63 PCGS. CAC. Breen-6482, BD-1, High R.5.
Bass-Dannreuther a/b. The only 1824-dated dies. Dannreuther
estimates that only 30 to 40 pieces are known in all grades, but
here is a Select Mint State example with rich peach toning and an
even, precise strike. Evaluation beneath a loupe reveals only
minor, unobtrusive abrasions. A broad band of luster encompasses
the margins and the devices are lustrous.
Important Rarity in Mint State
The rarity of the 1824 remains underappreciated. Dannreuther writes, "coins of this date are much more difficult to locate than those dated 1823; they are more than twice as rare as that date. A census is difficult, as many of the coins have appeared multiple times at auction, making the date/variety appear more available than it really is."
Only a few certified Mint State examples of the 1824 have appeared at auction. We know of the following such appearances:
1) MS64 PCGS. George W. Cogan, 3/1882; Garrett Collection, Part 1 (Bowers and Ruddy, 11/1979), lot 466; Auction '90 (Superior, 8/1990), lot 1318; Benson II (Ira & Larry Goldberg, 2/2002), lot 1998.
2) MS64 PCGS. Superior 9/1999, lot 1985. Photo not available. Possibly the same coin as #3.
3) MS64 PCGS. Margene Heathgate Collection (Superior, 6/1997), lot 1488; Superior, 2/1998, lot 3399; Pre-Long Beach Sale (Ira & Larry Goldberg, 2/2006), lot 1069.
4) MS63 PCGS. 1963 FUN Sale (Federal Brand, 1/1963), lot 4183; 17th Annual Southern California Sale (RARCOA, 2/1972), lot 869; Long Beach Signature (Heritage, 2/2009), lot 2685.
5) MS62 PCGS. Classics Sale (American Numismatic Rarities, 12/2003), lot 940.
6) MS61 PCGS. FUN Bullet (Heritage, 1/1991), lot 591. Not photographed. Possibly the same example as #5.
From The Harvey B. Jacobson, Jr. Collection.(Registry values: P6) (NGC ID# BFY5, PCGS# 8132)
Weight: 8.75 grams
Metal: 91.67% Gold, 8.33% Copper
View all of [The Harvey B. Jacobson, Jr. Collection ]
Fees, Shipping, and Handling Description: Coins & Currency (view shipping information)
Sales Tax information | PCGS Guarantee of Grade and Authenticity | Terms and Conditions
Bidding Guidelines and Bid Increments
Glossary of Terms
Buyer's Premium per Lot:
15% of the successful bid (minimum $14) per lot.
- Past Auction Values (prices, photos, full descriptions, etc.)
- Bid online
- Free Collector newsletter
- Want List with instant e-mail notifications
- Reduced auction commissions when you resell your
- Cash Advances
- More Bidders
- Trusted Experts
- Over 200,000 Satisfied Consignors Since 1976
Learn about consigning with us
Had we endeavored to sell it without your support, it would have taken us at least 10 lifetimes, i.e. it would have been impossible.View More Testimonials
HA.com receives more traffic than any other auction house website. (Source: Similarweb.com)