Ex: Farouk Collection, Likely Unique as a SetBritish India. Victoria Silver Type Set Struck in Gold 1862, 1) 2 Annas, Prid-484, W&R-4.146, PR65 Cameo NGC. Plain edge.
2) 1/4 Rupee, Prid-375, W&R-4.132, PR64 Cameo NGC. Reeded edge.
3) 1/2 Rupee, Prid-257, W&R-4.121, PR64 Ultra Cameo NGC. Reeded edge.
4) Rupee, Prid-68, W&R-4.53, PR63 Cameo NGC. Reeded edge.
Struck during the first year of production for the crowned head Victoria type and the first instance of gold off-metal strikes in British India. The reason for the existence of this type is not entirely known, but several reasons can be hypothesized. Possible reasons include:
- Distribution to departments of government prior to official adoption of a design.
- Distribution to government officials for personal keepsake.
- Usage as an exhibition set at fairs and the like.
- Usage by India Office for information or distribution.
Whatever the actual reason, we know today that 1862-dated gold strikings are incredibly rare, and as a set, most likely unique. In fact, after a search of archived auction records, we were only able to find a single instance of a 2 Annas striking in gold with none of the other denominations being represented. As a whole, the set remains in breathtaking condition with all examples being Choice to Gem with attractive cameo contrast. Adding the appeal is the impressive King Farouk pedigree; where it sold as lot 870 in the 1954 Sotheby's Palace Collections auction as, "a brilliant and pretty set, very rare." A custom Capital Plastics holder now accompanies the set and details the coins and their provenance. For the collector of British Indian coinage, this set, with its magnificent history and charm, is bound to become an instant collection centerpiece and it must be considered among the finest trophies that one could think to acquire.
From The Formosa Collection
View all of [The Formosa Collection ]
Fees, Shipping, and Handling Description: Coins & Currency (view shipping information)
Sales Tax information | NGC Coin Grading Guarantee | Terms and Conditions
Bidding Guidelines and Bid Increments
Glossary of Terms
World Coin Bibliography
‡ The owner placed a late bid on this unreserved lot and repurchased it, subject to applicable commission.
Buyer's Premium per Lot:
17.5% of the successful bid (minimum $14) per lot.
Opens about 08/23/2017
Opens about 08/30/2017
Opens about 09/01/2017
Jewelry & Timepieces
Opens about 08/25/2017
Opens about 09/06/2017
Opens about 09/05/2017
Opens about 09/05/2017
Opens about 09/12/2017
Opens about 09/20/2017
Opens about 09/22/2017
Fine & Rare Wine
Opens about 09/25/2017
Opens about 09/26/2017
- Past Auction Values (prices, photos, full descriptions, etc.)
- Bid online
- Free Collector newsletter
- Want List with instant e-mail notifications
- Reduced auction commissions when you resell your
- Cash Advances
- More Bidders
- Trusted Experts
- Over 200,000 Satisfied Consignors Since 1976