Sold for: Sign-in or Join (free & quick)
includes Buyer's Premium (BP) 


    The 1799 S-189 Cent--Joseph Mickley's Nemesis

    1799 1C VF Details NCS. Fine 12 EAC. S-189, Die State I, High R.2. It is said that Joseph Mickley was the man responsible for starting the numismatic movement in the United States, the "Father of American Coin Collecting." Mickley was born in 1799, and numismatic legend suggests that his unfulfilled search to locate a cent of his birth year started his numismatic career. When this cataloger was editing Walter Breen's Large Cent Encyclopedia, a search was conducted to find the source of this legend without success.
    When seeking a 1799 large cent for a collection, so many factors must be considered. Surface quality is extremely important. This issue is nearly impossible to find with perfectly smooth, medium brown surfaces. On the other hand, it is very easy to find with heavily corroded surfaces and nearly black color. Although this example is not perfectly smooth, the surfaces are much finer than usually seen and the color is a pleasing olive-brown. A few areas of pitting are seen on each side, but these are nicely blended with the surrounding surfaces and are not objectionable. Another factor is the distribution of strike, especially on the obverse. Approximately 90% of all 1799 large cents have LIBERTY strong with the date quite weak. Nearly all of the remaining 10% have a strong date and weak LIBERTY. Possibly 1% of the existing population has both the date and LIBERTY strong, such as this example. Only after these other factors have been considered should one look at the amount of remaining detail. This 1799 cent has considerable sharpness, especially on the obverse. The reverse detail is almost always weak.
    So here is a 1799 cent that has everything one could want: good eye appeal with considerable remaining details, pleasing olive-brown color, and strong date and LIBERTY. This is from an early die state, before the die chip developed between E of ONE and T of CENT. This cent will please almost any collector. NCS Corroded.
    Ex: Wyoming Collection; EAC Sale (3/87), lot 167.(#1443) (Registry values: N2998) (NGC ID# 2246, PCGS# 1443)

    View all of [The Wes Rasmussen Large Cent Collection ]

    Fees, Shipping, and Handling Description: Coin/Currency (view shipping information)

    Sales Tax information  |  Terms and Conditions

    Bidding Guidelines and Bid Increments

    Glossary of Terms

    Auction Info

    Auction Dates
    January, 2005
    12th-15th Wednesday-Saturday
    Bids + Registered Phone Bidders: 10
    Lot Tracking Activity: N/A
    Page Views: 285

    Buyer's Premium per Lot:
    15% of the successful bid (minimum $9) per lot.

    Rasmussen Special Edition Catalog
    This hard bound volume contains the magnificent Wes Rasmussen Large Cent Collection, formed by a former President of the Early American Coppers society which was auctioned at the 2005 Florida United Numismatic Auction. Reserve your copy of this remarkable volume for just $75 today.
    Rasmussen Signed Limited Edition Catalog
    A hard bound limited library edition of the Wes Rasmussen Collection Catalog, signed by Wes Rasmussen, Mark Borckardt, Greg Rohan, and Denis Loring, is available while supplies last. Only 100 produced. Reserve your copy of this remarkable limited edition signed volume for just $150 today.

    Heritage membership

    Join Now - It's Free

    1. Past Auction Values (prices, photos, full descriptions, etc.)
    2. Bid online
    3. Free Collector newsletter
    4. Want List with instant e-mail notifications
    5. Reduced auction commissions when you resell your
    Consign now
    • Cash Advances
    • More Bidders
    • Trusted Experts
    • Over 200,000 Satisfied Consignors Since 1976
    Only 14 days left to consign to the 2017 April 26 - May 2 CSNS US Coins Signature Auction - Chicago!

    Learn about consigning with us

    I popped open one of the beers, put my boots up on the desk, turned up the volume on my monitor and followed my watch list and while I was outbid on my proof Walkers I got a winning bid on a 67+ CAC BTW. Shoot, anniversaries don't come much better than t
    Stan Trybulski,
    Branford, CT
    View More Testimonials receives more traffic than any other auction house website. (Source:

    Video tutorial

    Getting the most out of search

    Recent auctions

    2017 February 16 - 19 Long Beach Expo US Coins Signature Auction - Long Beach
    2017 February 16 - 19 Long Beach Expo US Coins Signature Auction - Long Beach
    REALIZED $11,095,031
    2017 January 17 - 18 World Coins Signature Internet Auction - Dallas
    2017 January 17 - 18 World Coins Signature Internet Auction - Dallas
    REALIZED $2,406,663
    2017 January 5 - 9 FUN World Currency Signature Auction -
    2017 January 5 - 9 FUN World Currency Signature Auction -
    REALIZED $1,283,852