1861-O Double Eagle, XF45
1861-O $20 XF45 PCGS. The 1861-O Liberty twenty was issued
on the brink of the Civil War. Actually, the mintage of 17,741
pieces was issued under three different authorities:
Scarce Civil War-Era Issue
1. Some 5,000 pieces were coined under the auspices of the United States government between January 1 and January 26, 1861.
2. The State of Louisiana minted 9,750 coins between January 26 and March 31, 1861.
3. The Confederacy issued 2,991 examples between April 1 and April 30, 1861.
Traditionally it has been assumed that only one pair of dies was used to produce the 1861-O mintage. However, Doug Winter has recently theorized that a second obverse die may have been placed into service at some point. More research is needed to clarify the situation. Examples exist with strong and weak dates, and Winter believes the strong dates may be the coins issued by the Confederacy.
The 1861-O is a scarce issue with an estimated surviving population of 135-165 pieces in all grades. Most examples seen are in the VF-XF range. The present coin shows light wear on the devices and some scattered minor abrasions on the surfaces. This coin has a weak date. A minor rim bruise is evident at 9 o'clock on the obverse, and another at 5 o'clock on the reverse. The surfaces retain much attractive mint luster. Population: 26 in 45, 42 finer (7/11).(Registry values: N2998) (NGC ID# 269J, PCGS# 8934)
Weight: 33.44 grams
Metal: 90% Gold, 10% Copper
Learn more at the Newman Numismatic Portal at Washington University in St. Louis.
Fees, Shipping, and Handling Description: Coins & Currency (view shipping information)
Sales Tax information | PCGS Guarantee of Grade and Authenticity | Terms and Conditions
Bidding Guidelines and Bid Increments
Glossary of Terms
Buyer's Premium per Lot:
15% of the successful bid (minimum $14) per lot.
- Past Auction Values (prices, photos, full descriptions, etc.)
- Bid online
- Free Collector newsletter
- Want List with instant e-mail notifications
- Reduced auction commissions when you resell your
- Cash Advances
- More Bidders
- Trusted Experts
- Over 200,000 Satisfied Consignors Since 1976
Learn about consigning with us
We will be using HA in the future for some of our numismatic sales, thanks for all the help and guidance!View More Testimonials
HA.com receives more traffic than any other auction house website. (Source: Similarweb.com)