Desirable 1871 Copper Half Eagle
1871 $5 Five Dollar, Judd-1170, Pollock-1312, High R.7, PR65
Judd-1170, PR65 Brown
Design. The regular dies for the 1871 Liberty half eagle. Struck in copper with a reeded edge.
Commentary. Like its copper quarter eagle counterpart in copper also in the present sale (Judd-1164), this piece has all the earmarks of a fantasy strike rather than a true die trial. This piece has been off of the market since its last appearance in the October 1977 Steve Ivy public auction. It was deemed important enough by the cataloger of that sale to be afforded a color plate. Indeed it is important and rarely offered for sale.
Physical Description. A delicate copper proof with attractive violet and blue toning over faded red mint color. The devices are boldly detailed, and the overall eye appeal is exceptional.
Census. Probably just four or five examples of Judd-1170 survive:
1. Stanley Kesselman (8/1971); Harry W. Bass, Jr. (Bowers and Merena, 5/1999), lot 1355. PR65 Red and Brown PCGS.
2. Steve Ivy (10/1977), lot 1038; NASCA (6/1978), lot 4634; Queller Collection. The present specimen.
3. Stack's (2/1977), lot 1142; Queller Collection. Proof.
4. Steve Ivy (12/1976), lot 1168. Gilt proof.
Other Appearances. In addition to those above, Pollock cites these, which may be duplicated above:
A. Pine Tree (3/1974), lot 434; Paramount (4/1977), lot 177.
B. King Farouk; Palace Collections of Egypt (Sotheby's, 2/1954), lot 1862.
C. Manfra, Tordella and Brooks (1974); T.R. Walsh.
From The Lemus Collection, Queller Family Collection Part Two. (NGC ID# 2A5P, PCGS# 61433)
View all of [The Lemus Collection, Queller Family Collection Part Two ]
Fees, Shipping, and Handling Description: Coins & Currency (view shipping information)
Sales Tax information | NGC Coin Grading Guarantee | Terms and Conditions
Bidding Guidelines and Bid Increments
Glossary of Terms
Buyer's Premium per Lot:
15% of the successful bid (minimum $9) per lot.
- Past Auction Values (prices, photos, full descriptions, etc.)
- Bid online
- Free Collector newsletter
- Want List with instant e-mail notifications
- Reduced auction commissions when you resell your
- Cash Advances
- More Bidders
- Trusted Experts
- Over 200,000 Satisfied Consignors Since 1976
Learn about consigning with us
I can bid with confidence that I will obtain lots at the lowest possible price in Heritage auctions.View More Testimonials
HA.com receives more traffic than any other auction house website. (Source: Similarweb.com)