Copper 1875 Commercial Dollar
1875 T$1 Commercial Dollar, Judd-1424, Pollock-1567, R.7, PR64
Red and Brown NGC. A seated figure of Liberty faces left at the
seashore, with 13 stars ringing the rim and the date 1875 below.
Liberty holds an olive branch and rests her left hand on a globe
reading LIBERTY. Two flags and a sheaf of wheat flank her. A
steamship with sails appears in the water, with sails billowing in
one direction and steam blowing in the opposite direction. A scroll
above the date reads IN GOD WE TRUST. On the reverse an olive
wreath contains COMMERCIAL / (ornamental cornucopias) / DOLLAR /
(ornaments) / 420 GRS / 900 FINE / (ornament), with UNITED STATES
OF AMERICA at the rim. On the bow tying the wreath a second
reference to the Deity appears, this time the outdated GOD OUR
TRUST. Struck in copper with a reeded edge.
Judd-1424, PR64 Red and Brown
Wisps of pale violet and orange complement the considerable dollops of mint red that cling to the surfaces on each side. This well-struck specimen is free of mentionable distractions, with appeal suggestive of an even finer grade.
Census. Only eight pieces are recorded as struck, according to Adams and Woodin, with six documented here as expanded from USPatterns.com.
1. Auction '87 (RARCOA, 7/1987), lot 1332; David M. Silberman, Jr. Collection (Bowers and Merena, 11/1988), lot 5414; Lemus Collection (Heritage, 1/2009), lot 1857, where it brought $18,400. The present specimen.
2. J.C. Mitchelson (1913); Connecticut State Library.
3. Gaston DiBello (Stack's, 5/1970), lot 473; Armand Champa; Rogers M. Fred, Jr. (Bowers and Merena, 11/1995), lot 2335; American Numismatic Rarities (11/2003). PR65 Red PCGS.
4. Brinton T. Schorer; private treaty sale to Harry W. Bass, Jr. (5/3/1973); Bass Collection (Bowers and Merena, 5/1999), lot 1323, which brought $6,325. PR64 Red PCGS.
5. Burke-Clemente Collections (Bowers & Merena, 5/1994), lot 1000. PR65 uncertified.
6. William Mitkoff; private treaty sale to David Faraday (9/23/1972) for $700; ANA (Heritage, 7/1994), lot 6149, which brought $10,120. PR65 Red and Brown uncertified.
From The Jarosi Collection. (NGC ID# 26WS, PCGS# 71731)
View all of [The Jarosi Collection ]
Fees, Shipping, and Handling Description: Coins & Currency (view shipping information)
Sales Tax information | NGC Coin Grading Guarantee | Terms and Conditions
Bidding Guidelines and Bid Increments
Glossary of Terms
Buyer's Premium per Lot:
15% of the successful bid (minimum $14) per lot.
Opens about 05/22/2017
Opens about 05/29/2017
Opens about 06/02/2017
World & Ancient Coins
Opens about 05/30/2017
Opens about 06/02/2017
Fine & Rare Wine
Opens about 06/05/2017
Jewelry & Timepieces
Opens about 05/26/2017
Opens about 06/06/2017
Opens about 06/08/2017
Comics & Comic Art
Opens about 06/12/2017
Opens about 06/16/2017
- Past Auction Values (prices, photos, full descriptions, etc.)
- Bid online
- Free Collector newsletter
- Want List with instant e-mail notifications
- Reduced auction commissions when you resell your
- Cash Advances
- More Bidders
- Trusted Experts
- Over 200,000 Satisfied Consignors Since 1976
Learn about consigning with us
You have not just a fine firm but a collection of outstanding individuals whom we consider ourselves privileged to know and now consider friends. From me, and from my heart, I just say thank you for a great job of bringing my collecting life to a gratifying close.View More Testimonials
HA.com receives more traffic than any other auction house website. (Source: Similarweb.com)