Important 1916 Walking Liberty Half Pattern One of Four Known Examples of Judd-19911916 50C Walking Liberty Half Dollar, Judd-1991, Formerly Judd-1798, Pollock-2056, High R.7, PR63 PCGS. Struck in the matte proof format favored by mint officials of the era, this silver-gray specimen is unmarked and best identified by a small number of short mint-made lintmarks on Liberty's skirt. Fully struck, Liberty's head and branch hand have definition uncommon to the eventual business strikes of the modified type. Struck in silver with a reeded edge.
Judd-1991 is believed to be the earliest among the six varieties of pattern 1916 Walking Liberty Half Dollars. The two major devices are very similar to their adopted counterparts but are somewhat smaller in scale. HALF DOLLAR is on the upper reverse instead of the reverse exergue, and E PLURIBUS UNUM is on the lower reverse instead of its usual position above the pine sapling. Unlike Judd-1992, LIBERTY is not fixed above the motto, but is distributed across the upper obverse border. No AW monogram is present.
Only four examples of Judd-1991 are presently known. These are enumerated by Saul Teichman at the website uspatterns.com. The pedigrees of the known pieces are:
2. Farouk?, William Mitkoff, sold to Pryor on 4/74, James Bennett Pryor Collection (Bowers and Merena, 1/96), lot 330, as PCGS PR61.
3. Farouk Palace Sale (Sotheby & Co., 2/54), part of lot 2028; Superior (10/90), lot 1889; Baltimore '93 Auction (Superior, 7/93), lot 470, as PCGS PR63.
4. Robert Marks Collection, Part II (American Auction Association, 11/72), lot 1081; Austin Collection (Bowers and Ruddy, 6/74), lot 1113; Morris Evans Collection (Bowers and Merena, 8/98), lot 2101; Americana Sale (Stack's, 1/04), lot 3552. The present piece.
Since the Smithsonian example is presumably permanently impounded, only three pieces are available to collectors, a population identical to the famous 1913 Liberty Nickel. A remarkable opportunity that has dual appeal to both pattern specialists and Walking Liberty Half Dollar collectors.(#62295) (PCGS# 62295)
Fees, Shipping, and Handling Description: Coin/Currency (view shipping information)
Sales Tax information | PCGS Guarantee of Grade and Authenticity | Terms and Conditions
Bidding Guidelines and Bid Increments
Glossary of Terms
Buyer's Premium per Lot:
15% of the successful bid (minimum $9) per lot.
Opens about 08/30/2017
Opens about 09/01/2017
Jewelry & Timepieces
Opens about 08/25/2017
Opens about 09/06/2017
Opens about 09/05/2017
Opens about 09/05/2017
Opens about 09/12/2017
Opens about 09/20/2017
Opens about 09/22/2017
Fine & Rare Wine
Opens about 09/25/2017
Opens about 09/26/2017
Opens about 09/29/2017
Opens about 10/02/2017
- Past Auction Values (prices, photos, full descriptions, etc.)
- Bid online
- Free Collector newsletter
- Want List with instant e-mail notifications
- Reduced auction commissions when you resell your
- Cash Advances
- More Bidders
- Trusted Experts
- Over 200,000 Satisfied Consignors Since 1976
Learn about consigning with us
Regarding the New Make an Offer beta program, just stumbled across this feature in the comic section. All I have to say is: WOW!! This will be a game-changer for you. A brilliant move.View More Testimonials
HA.com receives more traffic than any other auction house website. (Source: Similarweb.com)