Bright, Satiny 1907 PR66 High Relief Twenty1907 $20 High Relief PR66 NGC. Proof High Relief twenties remain a controversial issue between the grading services. Only NGC certifies them, although the diagnostics have been clearly set out by Walter Breen and NGC and both standards are reported on pages 76-77 of Robert Loewinger's Proof Gold Coinage of the United States. Proofs show recutting at the inner right of the first U in UNUM. Of course, since the coin is encapsulated it is impossible to verify this. Other characteristics are known for proofs, as set out by NGC:
1) Extreme sharpness in all details, both at the centers and toward the peripheries.
2) The complete absence of die erosion or distortion.
3) Numerous, raised die-polishing lines on both sides. These appear in a random, swirling pattern. While also evident on currency strikes, these are particularly bold on Proofs.
4) Uniformly satiny surfaces, without any of the radial flowlines that produce conventional Mint luster.
5) A build-up of metal just inside both borders, though especially evident on the reverse. This appears as a slightly raised ridge forming a concentric circle with the coin's border. It probably resulted from the extreme compression to which the Proofs were subjected to by additional strikes.
An unknown number of proofs were struck, all from a hydraulic press with an estimated six or seven blows from the dies. The surfaces of this piece have the smooth, satiny texture expected from a proof striking, and the surfaces are nearly perfectly preserved with no mentionable contact marks on either side. (NGC ID# 28AX, PCGS# 9132)
Weight: 33.44 grams
Metal: 90% Gold, 10% Copper
Fees, Shipping, and Handling Description: Coins & Currency (view shipping information)
Sales Tax information | NGC Coin Grading Guarantee | Terms and Conditions
Bidding Guidelines and Bid Increments
Glossary of Terms
Buyer's Premium per Lot:
15% of the successful bid (minimum $14) per lot.
Revised Edition by James L. Halperin, Mark R. Borckardt, Mark Van Winkle, Jon Amato, and Gregory J. Rohan, with special contributor David W. Akers
The Coinage of Augustus Saint-Gaudens is an issue-by-issue examination of these two artistically inspired series of gold coins.
Each date and mintmark is reviewed with up-to-date information, much of which has never been previously published. The book is based on
two extraordinary collections: The Phillip H. Morse collection and the Dr. and Mrs. Steven L. Duckor collection.
Order Now! Just $95
Opens about 08/23/2017
Opens about 08/30/2017
Opens about 09/01/2017
Jewelry & Timepieces
Opens about 08/25/2017
Opens about 09/06/2017
Opens about 09/05/2017
Opens about 09/05/2017
Opens about 09/12/2017
Opens about 09/20/2017
Opens about 09/22/2017
Fine & Rare Wine
Opens about 09/25/2017
Opens about 09/26/2017
- Past Auction Values (prices, photos, full descriptions, etc.)
- Bid online
- Free Collector newsletter
- Want List with instant e-mail notifications
- Reduced auction commissions when you resell your
- Cash Advances
- More Bidders
- Trusted Experts
- Over 200,000 Satisfied Consignors Since 1976
Learn about consigning with us
It's simply amazing to participate in one of your auctions.View More Testimonials
HA.com receives more traffic than any other auction house website. (Source: Similarweb.com)