Outstanding PR66 Ultra Cameo
1883 $5 PR66 Ultra Cameo NGC. The proof 1883 five dollar has
a recorded mintage of 61 pieces, but less than 20 of those are
known today, mostly in lower quality. Jeff Garrett and Ron Guth
discuss this issue in their Encyclopedia of U.S. Gold Coins:
"The mintage figures for Proof Liberty half eagles creep up
slightly each year starting in 1880; however, the survival rate
goes down. This issue is of similar rarity to that of other,
lower-mintage issues. There are fewer than 20 coins traceable
today, including those in museum collections. Because of the
scarcity of this issue, the opportunity to acquire an example of
the date in Proof seldom occurs."
1883 Half Eagle
We have compiled a preliminary roster that includes 14 distinctly different specimens:
1. PR67 Deep Cameo PCGS. Paramount (9/1971), lot 1539; Harry W. Bass, Jr. Collection (Bowers and Merena, 11/2000), lot 547; American Numismatic Rarities (3/2004), lot 1459.
2. PR66 Ultra Cameo NGC. The present specimen. Earlier from Superior (5/1993), lot 1503.
3. PR65. Thomas Melish (Abe Kosoff, 4/1956), lot 2194; Norweb Collection (Bowers and Merena, 10/1987), lot 913; Stack's (10/1988), lot 94; Stack's (3/1994), lot 1519.
4. PR65 PCGS. U.S. Coin Co. (1915); Clapp Collection (1942); Eliasberg Collection (Bowers and Ruddy, 10/1982), lot 560; Heritage (11/2003), lot 7595.
5. PR64 Deep Cameo. Smithsonian Institution.
6. PR64 Cameo NGC. J.C. Morgenthau (5/1939), lot 261; Floyd T. Starr Collection (Stack's, 10/1992), lot 1209; Bowers and Merena (3/1993), lot 1397; Heritage (8/1993), lot 7370; Heritage Bullet (10/1993), lot 418.
7. PR64 NGC. Auction '84 (Stack's, 7/1984), lot 1439; Ed Trompeter Collection (Superior, 3/1992), lot 164; Heritage.
8. PR64 PCGS. Walter H. Childs Collection (Bowers and Merena, 8/1999), lot 747.
9. Proof. Garrett Collection (Stack's, 3/1976), lot 478.
10. Proof. New Netherlands Coin Co. (5/18/1948); Harold S. Bareford (Stack's, 12/1978), lot 198.
11. Proof. Amon Carter Collection (Stack's, 1/1984), lot 696.
12. Proof. N.M. Kaufman Collection (RARCOA, 8/1978), lot 847.
13. PR60. Bowers and Merena (1/2000), lot 384.
14. Proof. American Numismatic Society.
This example is an amazing Ultra Cameo proof with bright yellow surfaces. The devices are fully brilliant and lustrous, with deeply mirrored fields on both sides. A few minute planchet flakes are evident and serve as ideal pedigree markers.
From The Bay State Collection, Part Two.(Registry values: P3) (NGC ID# BPY9, PCGS# 98478)
Weight: 8.36 grams
Metal: 90% Gold, 10% Copper
Learn more at the Newman Numismatic Portal at Washington University in St. Louis.
View all of [The Bay State Collection, Part Two ]
Fees, Shipping, and Handling Description: Coins & Currency (view shipping information)
Sales Tax information | NGC Coin Grading Guarantee | Terms and Conditions
Bidding Guidelines and Bid Increments
Glossary of Terms
Bids + Registered Phone Bidders: 5
Lot Tracking Activity: N/A
Page Views: 1,224
Buyer's Premium per Lot:
15% of the successful bid (minimum $14) per lot.
Viewing at %
Please enter a value between % and 100% and press your "Enter" key. CloseFit to screen View Full Size Brightness
Opens about 01/02/2018
- Past Auction Values (prices, photos, full descriptions, etc.)
- Bid online
- Free Collector newsletter
- Want List with instant e-mail notifications
- Reduced auction commissions when you resell your
- Cash Advances
- More Bidders
- Trusted Experts
- Over 200,000 Satisfied Consignors Since 1976
2017 December 7 - 10 US Coins Signature Auction - Dallas
2017 December 7 - 8 HKINF World Coins & Ancient Coins Signature Auction - Hong Kong
REALIZED SO FAR $4,478,782
2017 December 6 - 8 HKINF World Currency Signature Auction - Hong Kong
REALIZED SO FAR $1,017,763