Fully Original Gem Proof 1894 Liberty Quarter Eagle Rarity1894 $2 1/2 PR65 PCGS. Proof Quarter Eagle production at the Philadelphia Mint ratcheted up to 122 pieces in 1894, but this issue is equally as elusive as the lower mintage 1892 and 1893. No more than 44 examples of the proof 1894 delivery are believed extant, only 18 coins of which have received a PR65 grade at PCGS (10/02). Three of the latter have sold in recent years:
1. Ex: Harry W. Bass, Jr. Collection (Bowers and Merena, 5/2000), lot 256, where it realized $9,775.
2. Ex: FUN Signature Sale (Heritage, 1/2001), lot 8124, where it realized $10,063.
3. Ex: Long Beach Signature Sale (Heritage, 2/2002), lot 6737, where it realized $13,225.
The present example is a distinct specimen that is identifiable by a tiny planchet void (as struck) in the lower left obverse field inside star 1. Although not designated as such on the PCGS insert, both sides display appreciable cameo finish with bold field-to-device contrast. Rich orange-gold color blankets fully brought up features that are free of mentionable hairlines and contact marks. There is a tiny swirl of haziness in the reverse field above the eagle's head, but it is anything but distracting. (NGC ID# 288H, PCGS# 7920)
Weight: 4.18 grams
Metal: 90% Gold, 10% Copper
Learn more at the Newman Numismatic Portal at Washington University in St. Louis.
Fees, Shipping, and Handling Description: Coin/Currency (view shipping information)
Sales Tax information | PCGS Guarantee of Grade and Authenticity | Terms and Conditions
Bidding Guidelines and Bid Increments
Glossary of Terms
Buyer's Premium per Lot:
15% of the successful bid (minimum $6) per lot.
Opens about 01/02/2018
- Past Auction Values (prices, photos, full descriptions, etc.)
- Bid online
- Free Collector newsletter
- Want List with instant e-mail notifications
- Reduced auction commissions when you resell your
- Cash Advances
- More Bidders
- Trusted Experts
- Over 200,000 Satisfied Consignors Since 1976
Learn about consigning with us
Thanks to Heritage I realized a handsome profit for my coin submissions and intend to send most of the remainder of my collection to Heritage Auction Galleries for future auctions.View More Testimonials
HA.com receives more traffic than any other auction house website. (Source: Similarweb.com)