Stunning 1855 Arrows Dime
1855 10C Arrows PR67 Cameo NGC. Ex: P. Kaufman. The 1855
Arrows proof dime out of the Phil Kaufman Collection ranks among
the finest of 29 certified pieces. Moreover, it is one of just four
examples assigned the Cameo designation by NGC and PCGS. The level
of preservation of extant pieces is relatively high, most falling
into the PR64-PR65 range.
The mintage figure for this issue is unknown. While Walter Breen (1989) accounted for nine examples, including one in the Smithsonian Institution, our survey of previous catalogs with 1855 proof dime appearances suggests that most numismatists estimate 12-15 coins existing. The one exception is David Lawrence Rare Coins, which suggests there are probably about 30 proofs of this date extant.
Our research reveals what we believe to be nine separate examples, plus the Smithsonian specimen. The photo quality of many catalog appearances made plate-matching difficult. Some listings in the roster may represent the same coin:
1. PR67 ★ Cameo NGC. An example in the present sale.
2. PR67 Cameo NGC. The Kaufman example. This coin appears different than any of the following.
3. PR65 NGC. Allen Lovejoy Collection (Stack's, 10/1990), lot 283.
4. PR65. Eliasberg Collection (Bowers and Merena, 5/1996), lot 1151.
5. PR65 PCGS. 2000 ANA Money Show (Superior, 3/2000), lot 280; J.B. Worthington Collection (American Numismatic Rarities, 5/2005), lot 136.
6. PR64 NGC. Rarities Sale (Bowers and Merena, 8/1996), lot 79.
7. PR64 PCGS. Pre-Long Beach (Superior, 10/2000), lot 4346.
8. PR64 PCGS. Long Beach (Heritage, 2/2005), lot 6240. Pedigree markers visible on the plates include a carbon spot left of star 5, another under the cap, and one to the upper right of the reverse branch.
9. PR64 NGC. Richmond III Sale (David Lawrence Rare Coins, 3/2005), lot 1247.
10. Choice Brilliant Proof. Floyd T. Starr Collection (Stack's, 10/1992), lot 370.
11. Proof. Smithsonian Institution.
A. PR65 NGC. Orlando Sale (Superior, 8/1992), lot 93.
B. PR65 NGC. Central States Sale (Heritage, 5/2007), lot 2071.
C. PR64 PCGS. 1997 FUN Sale (Heritage, 1/1997), lot 5909.
D. PR64 NGC. Rarities Sale (Bowers and Merena, 8/1998), lot 110.
E. PR64 PCGS. Pre-Long Beach (Ira and Larry Goldberg, 6/2002), lot 2151.
F. PR64 NGC. Stack's (9/2006), lot 479.
G. Choice Proof 63/63. 1986 Georgia Numismatic Association Sale (Mid-American, 5/1986), lot 1542.
H. Proof. John Jay Pittman Collection (David Akers, 10/1997), lot 621.
Stunning Cameo contrast is evident on the Superb Gem Kaufman coin, regardless of the angle from which the piece is viewed. An exacting strike imparts strong definition to the design features, except for minor softness on the ribbing of the upper-most leaves. A few stray inoffensive hairlines on the untoned, nicely preserved surfaces should not be confused with the faint die polish lines visible in the fields.
From The Phil Kaufman Collection of Early Seated Proof Sets, Part Three. (NGC ID# 23CG, PCGS# 84744)
Weight: 2.49 grams
Metal: 90% Silver, 10% Copper
View all of [The Phil Kaufman Collection of Early Seated Proof Sets, Part Three ]
Fees, Shipping, and Handling Description: Coins & Currency (view shipping information)
Sales Tax information | NGC Coin Grading Guarantee | Terms and Conditions
Bidding Guidelines and Bid Increments
Glossary of Terms
Buyer's Premium per Lot:
15% of the successful bid (minimum $9) per lot.
- Past Auction Values (prices, photos, full descriptions, etc.)
- Bid online
- Free Collector newsletter
- Want List with instant e-mail notifications
- Reduced auction commissions when you resell your
- Cash Advances
- More Bidders
- Trusted Experts
- Over 200,000 Satisfied Consignors Since 1976
Learn about consigning with us
It goes without saying that after the auction when we had a chance to have dinner together and get to know each other it even made it a better experience for me. I look forward to getting more involved with Heritage in the Future.View More Testimonials
HA.com receives more traffic than any other auction house website. (Source: Similarweb.com)