Important PR64 1843 Seated Dollar1843 $1 PR64 NGC. Like all proof 1843 Seated dollars, this coin was struck from the shared reverse die used to coin most known 1840 to 1850 proofs. This die is identified by small die chips on each side of the center of the right upright of the final A in AMERICA. The obverse die is unknown on business strikes, which on better grade examples invariably show repunching on the 1 or 4 in the date. The date on the present specimen is perfect, evenly entered and without signs of recutting.
Per Duncan Lee in 2006, the 1843 "remains one of the rarest of the early proof issues." Our research has located only the following auction appearances of certified 1843 proofs:
1. PR64 NGC. The present lot. Frederic W. Geiss Collection (B. Max Mehl, 2/1947), lot 337; Floyd T. Starr Collection (Stack's, 10/1992), lot 583; David Queller Collection.
2. PR64 NGC. The Dr. John L. Pellegrini Collection of Liberty Seated Dollars, (Heritage, 7/2005), lot 10259; FUN Signature, (Heritage, 1/2007), lot 1060, which realized $57,500.
3. PR63 NGC. Will W. Neil Collection (B. Max Mehl, 6/1947), as part of lot 2292; Amon G. Carter, Jr. Family Collection (Stack's, 1/1984), lot 249; Kenneth C. Long Estate Collection (Bowers and Merena, 5/1995), lot 1213; Rarities Sale (Bowers and Merena, 8/1998), lot 236; Richmond Collection, Part II (David Lawrence, 11/2004), lot 1508, which realized $46,000.
4. PR63 PCGS. Rod Sweet Collection, Part IV, (Bowers and Merena, 7/2005), lot 1004, which realized $26,450.
The present Choice proof, pedigreed to the legendary Floyd Starr collection, has original and luxurious golden-brown and ocean-blue toning. The strike is needle-sharp, and post-strike abrasions are nearly absent. For pedigree purposes, we note a small mark on the reverse rim near 7 o'clock.
Opportunity is fleeting. It has been more than 15 years since its last auction appearance, and this high grade, original, and extremely rare proof may not appear again at auction for many additional years. Census: 3 in 64, 0 finer (2/08).
From The Queller Family Collection of Silver Dollars.(Registry values: N10218) (NGC ID# 24ZT, PCGS# 6984)
Weight: 26.73 grams
Metal: 90% Silver, 10% Copper
View all of [The Queller Family Collection of Silver Dollars ]
Fees, Shipping, and Handling Description: Coins & Currency (view shipping information)
Sales Tax information | NGC Coin Grading Guarantee | Terms and Conditions
Bidding Guidelines and Bid Increments
Glossary of Terms
Buyer's Premium per Lot:
15% of the successful bid (minimum $9) per lot.
Opens about 08/30/2017
Opens about 09/01/2017
Jewelry & Timepieces
Opens about 08/25/2017
Opens about 09/06/2017
Opens about 09/05/2017
Opens about 09/05/2017
Opens about 09/12/2017
Opens about 09/20/2017
Opens about 09/22/2017
Fine & Rare Wine
Opens about 09/25/2017
Opens about 09/26/2017
Opens about 09/29/2017
Opens about 10/02/2017
- Past Auction Values (prices, photos, full descriptions, etc.)
- Bid online
- Free Collector newsletter
- Want List with instant e-mail notifications
- Reduced auction commissions when you resell your
- Cash Advances
- More Bidders
- Trusted Experts
- Over 200,000 Satisfied Consignors Since 1976
Learn about consigning with us
As you know we have other paintings and antiques, of which, when the time is right I will contact you, I will not even consider doing business with another company.View More Testimonials
HA.com receives more traffic than any other auction house website. (Source: Similarweb.com)