Magnificent Gem Proof 1846 Seated Dollar1846 $1 PR65 PCGS. Breen-5436. The proof-only blundered date variety, which Breen describes as "date first entered much too low and oblique, then largely effaced and corrected; parts of upper halves of 846 show in lower halves of final position of date." The reverse displays the lumps on the central right border of the third A in AMERICA, diagnostic for the die used to strike most restrike proof No Motto Seated dollars.
Fully struck, gorgeously preserved, and originally patinated in deep shades of sea-green, golden-brown, and canary-gold. An exceptional Gem exceeded in third-party grade only by the Kaufman specimen from our recent Central States Signature.
The standards for what is considered a proof striking have tightened since the advent of PCGS and NGC. Research of auction records reveals the following appearances of proof 1846 Seated dollars certified by those two services, ranked in order of prices realized:
1. PR66 NGC. Phil Kaufman Collection of Early Seated Proof Sets, Part Three (Heritage, 4/2008), lot 2387, which realized $92,000.
2. PR65 PCGS. Allen Harriman (Superior, 1974), lot 1623; Jerry Buss Sale (Superior, 1/1985), lot 1343; Jascha Heifetz Collection (Superior, 10/1989), lot 3824, which realized $46,200.
3. PR64 NGC. Long Beach Bullet (Heritage, 2/2002), lot 817; Rarities Sale (Bowers and Merena, 5/2004), lot 255, which realized $34,500.
4. PR64 NGC. F.C.C. Boyd (World's Greatest) Collection (Numismatic Gallery), lot 135; Adolphe Menjou (Numismatic Gallery, 6/1950), lot 2091; John J. Pittman Collection, Part Two (David Akers, 5/1998), lot 1674; Richmond Collection (David Lawrence, 11/2004), lot 1511; Jack Lee Collection, III (Heritage, 11/2005), lot 2234, which realized $32,200.
5. PR64 NGC. John Work Garrett Collection (Stack's, 3/1976), lot 262; Riverly Collection (Heritage, 8/1998), lot 8193; Morris Silverman Collection (Heritage, 4/2002), lot 4074; Rod Sweet Collection (Bowers and Merena, 7/2005), lot 1007, which realized $27,500.
6. PR64 NGC. Fairchild Family Trust Collection (Ira & Larry Goldberg, 5/2001), lot 864, which realized $23,000.
7. PR63 NGC. Amon G. Carter, Jr. Collection (Stack's, 1/1984), lot 252; Queller Family Collection of Silver Dollars (Heritage, 4/2008), lot 2143, which realized $21,850.
8. PR62 NGC. Rarities Sale (Bowers and Merena, 7/1997), lot 244; Dr. John L. Pellegrini Collection (Heritage, 7/2005), lot 10262; FUN Signature (Heritage, 1/2007), lot 1062, which realized $14,950.
9. PR64 NGC. E-Fair Signature (Heritage, 10/1999), lot 5320, unsold.
From The Silbermünzen Collection.(Registry values: N10218) (NGC ID# 24ZW, PCGS# 6987)
View all of [The Silbermünzen Collection ]
Fees, Shipping, and Handling Description: Coins & Currency (view shipping information)
Sales Tax information | PCGS Guarantee of Grade and Authenticity | Terms and Conditions
Bidding Guidelines and Bid Increments
Glossary of Terms
Buyer's Premium per Lot:
15% of the successful bid (minimum $9) per lot.
Floor auctionsOpen for bidding: (View All)
Jewelry & Timepieces
Ends on 06/06/2017
Ends on 06/08/2017
Ends on 06/10/2017
Ends on 06/11/2017
Arms & Armor
Ends on 06/11/2017
Ends on 06/17/2017
Ends on 06/21/2017
World & Ancient Coins
Ends on 06/22/2017
Jewelry & Timepieces
Ends on 06/26/2017
Opens about 06/02/2017
Fine & Rare Wine
Opens about 06/05/2017
Opens about 06/06/2017
Opens about 06/07/2017
Comics & Comic Art
Opens about 06/12/2017
Opens about 06/16/2017
Luxury Real Estate
Opens about 05/19/2017
Opens about 07/05/2017
Opens about 06/21/2017
- Past Auction Values (prices, photos, full descriptions, etc.)
- Bid online
- Free Collector newsletter
- Want List with instant e-mail notifications
- Reduced auction commissions when you resell your
- Cash Advances
- More Bidders
- Trusted Experts
- Over 200,000 Satisfied Consignors Since 1976
Learn about consigning with us
The coins arrived today. Thank you very much for the special service. You are one of the reasons Heritage is such a great company to work with. Very Special!View More Testimonials
HA.com receives more traffic than any other auction house website. (Source: Similarweb.com)