1848 Seated Liberty Dollar, PR67
1848 $1 PR67 NGC. The 1848 Seated Liberty dollar is a rare
issue, from an estimated mintage of 25-35 pieces. PCGS estimates a
surviving population of just 10-15 examples in all grades. The
Greensboro 1848 proof dollar is the finest known of 12 distinct
examples we have been able to identify. The roster updates the one
that appeared in our November 2005 Palm Beach Sale.
Single Finest Known Specimen
Ex: Phil Kaufman
Roster of Proof 1848 Seated Liberty Dollars
1. PR67 NGC. Baltimore Signature (Heritage, 7/2008), lot 1820, realized $161,000. The present coin.
2. PR66 NGC. 1997 ANA Sale (Heritage, 7/1997), lot 6521; Jack Lee Collection (Heritage, 11/2005), lot 2236; Continuous Internet Auction (Heritage, 12/2005), lot 23568.
3. PR64 NGC. Frederic Geiss Sale (B. Max Mehl, 2/1947), lot 343; John Jay Pittman Collection (David Akers, 5/1998), lot 1678; Richmond Sale II (David Lawrence Rare Coins, 11/2004), lot 1513.
4. PR64 NGC. Farish Baldenhofer (per Walter Breen, not in the 11/1955 Stack's sale); A.J. Ostheimer Collection (Lester Merkin, 9/1968), lot 344; Elvin I. Unterman; E-Fair Auction (Heritage, 10/1999) lot 5321; Central States Signature (Heritage, 4/2002), lot 4076.
5. PR64 NGC. Kenneth C. Long Estate Collection (Bowers and Merena, 5/1995), lot 1218; Rod Sweet Collection (Bowers and Merena, 7/2005), lot 1009; Long Beach Signature (Heritage, 9/2005), lot 3762; New York Connoisseur's Collection (American Numismatic Rarities, 3/2006), lot 1091; ANA Charlotte National Money Show (Heritage, 3/2007), lot 947; Pre-Long Beach Sale (Ira and Larry Goldberg, 2/2010), lot 1192.
6. PR64. Louis E. Eliasberg, Sr. Collection (Bowers and Merena, 4/1997), lot 2215.
7. PR63. Long Beach Signature (Heritage, 5/19996), lot 5628.
8. PR62 NGC. Colonel E.H.R. Green; Jack Roe Collection (B. Max Mehl, 6/1945), lot 444; Frederic Geiss Collection (Mehl, 2/1947), lot 343; Amon G. Carter, Jr. Family Collection (Stack's, 1/1984), lot 256; Queller Family Collection of Silver Dollars (Heritage, 4/2008), lot 2145.
9. PR62 PCGS. Dr. John L. Pellegrini Collection (Heritage ANA Auction, 7/2005), lot 10263; 2006 FUN Signature (Heritage, 1/2006), lot 3239.
10. PR62 PCGS. FUN Signature (Heritage, 1/2007), lot 5211; ANA World's Fair of Money (Heritage, 8/2007), lot 1727; Central States Signature (Heritage, 4/2009), lot 2589.
11. Proof. Smithsonian Institution.
12. Brilliant Proof. Barney Bluestone (9/1940), lot 624; Floyd T. Starr Collection (Stack's, 10/1992), lot 591.
A. Brilliant Proof. F.C.C. Boyd; World's Greatest Collection (Numismatic Gallery, 1/1945) lot 139; J.H. South Collection (Stack's, 5/1951), lot 809; David Golding (Stack's, 6/1952), lot 240.
B. Brilliant Proof. The Empire Collection (Stack's, 11/1957), lot 1732 (not plated).
C. Proof. Lorin G. Parmelee Collection (New York Stamp & Coin, 6/1890), lot 1189.
D. PR62 NGC. Sale 2575 (Teletrade, 8/2008), lot 1744.
E. Proof. Peter Mougey Collection (Thomas Elder, 9/1910), lot 983.
F. Proof. T. James Clark (New Netherlands, 11/1956), lot 359; Kagin.
G. Proof. Thomas Cleneay Collection (S.H. & H. Chapman, 12/1890), lot 840, part of a seven-piece silver and minor proof set.
H. Proof. Richard B. Winsor (S.H. & H. Chapman, 12/1895), lot 1069, part of a seven-piece silver and minor proof set.
I. Proof. Matthew Stickney Collection (Henry Chapman, 6/1907), lot 1792, part of a seven-piece silver and minor proof set.
J. Proof. John F. McCoy Sale (W. Elliot Woodward, 5/1864), lot 375, part of a five-piece silver proof set, sold to Lovett for $50.
Both sides of this delightful Superb Gem are awash in a melange of soft violet, golden-orange, powder-blue, and greenish-gold patina. The design elements are sharply detailed throughout, with delicate mint frost highlighted by the deeply mirrored fields. Impeccably preserved surfaces, in conjunction with the above outstanding qualities, make for breathtaking eye appeal. Census: 1 in 67, 0 finer (6/13).
From The Greensboro Collection, Part IV.(Registry values: N14284) (NGC ID# 24ZY, PCGS# 6989)
View all of [The Greensboro Collection, Part IV ]
Fees, Shipping, and Handling Description: Coins & Currency (view shipping information)
Sales Tax information | NGC Coin Grading Guarantee | Terms and Conditions
Bidding Guidelines and Bid Increments
Glossary of Terms
Buyer's Premium per Lot:
17.5% of the successful bid (minimum $14) per lot.
Opens about 01/24/2017
Opens about 01/27/2017
Comics & Comic Art
Opens about 02/03/2017
Fine & Rare Wine
Opens about 02/06/2017
Opens about 02/03/2017
Opens about 02/03/2017
Opens about 02/17/2017
Opens about 02/20/2017
Luxury Real Estate
Opens about 01/13/2017
Opens about 02/24/2017
Opens about 02/27/2017
Opens about 03/01/2017
- Past Auction Values (prices, photos, full descriptions, etc.)
- Bid online
- Free Collector newsletter
- Want List with instant e-mail notifications
- Reduced auction commissions when you resell your
- Cash Advances
- More Bidders
- Trusted Experts
- Over 200,000 Satisfied Consignors Since 1976
Learn about consigning with us
Heritage Auctions is very well keyed into the evolving market place, what better exposure can anyone ask for?View More Testimonials
HA.com receives more traffic than any other auction house website. (Source: Similarweb.com)