1849 Liberty Seated Dollar
1849 $1 PR65 NGC. The obverse has a tiny imperfection within
the triangular opening of the 4. Tiny projections or rust pits are
attached to the tips of three dentils below and left of the 1. The
reverse is the usual proof die that has two tiny defects on the
right diagonal of the final A.
The Garrett-Pittman Gem Proof
The number of surviving 1849 proof Seated dollars is unknown, although various past estimates have placed the quantity in the range of six to 10 examples. David Akers claimed just six proofs survive, while Walter Breen recorded eight in his Proof Encyclopedia. Our roster below provides an accounting of eight different pieces that have appeared at auction since the arrival of third-party grading in 1986:
1. PR67 NGC. Phil Kaufman (Heritage, 4/2008), lot 2392.
2. PR65 NGC. J.C. Randall (W. Elliot Woodward, 9/1885), lot 73; Garrett Collection (Stack's, 3/1976), lot 266; John Jay Pittman (David Akers, 5/1998), lot 1679; Richmond Collection (David Lawrence, 11/2004), lot 1514; Jack Lee Collection (Heritage, 11/2005), lot 2237, which realized $80,500; Heritage (12/2005), lot 13665; Jack Lee Estate (Heritage, 1/2009), lot 3963; Bay State Collection, Part II (Heritage, 7/2009), lot 1151. The present coin.
3. PR65 PCGS. Frederick Geiss (B. Max Mehl, 2/1947), lot 344; Floyd T. Starr (Stack's, 10/1992), lot 592; Larry Share Collection; American Numismatic Rarities (1/2005), lot 680; American Numismatic Rarities (7/2005), lot 1308.
4. PR65 NGC. Louis E. Eliasberg, Sr. (Bowers and Merena, 4/1997), lot 2216; Heritage (8/1998), lot 8195; Rod Sweet Collection (Bowers and Merena, 7/2005), lot 1010.
5. PR64 ★ NGC. Amon Carter Collection (Stack's, 1/1984), lot 257; Queller Family Collection (Heritage, 4/2008), lot 2146; Joseph C. Thomas Collection (Heritage, 4/2009), lot 2590; Heritage (7/2009), lot 26928; Long Beach Sale (Heritage, 9/2009), lot 938.
6. PR64 NGC. Kenneth C. Long (Bowers and Merena, 5/1995), lot 1219; Heritage (1/1996), lot 5638; Heritage (9/1997), lot 7170; Dr. John L. Pellegrini Collection (Heritage, 7/2005), lot 10264.
7. PR58 PCGS. Heritage (8/2004), lot 6368.
8. Impaired Proof. Stack's (10/2000), lot 1240.
This piece is boldly struck with excellent obverse and reverse details, including bold rims and borders, sharp head details, complete feather details, and sharp claws and leaves. The powder-blue toning is accompanied by traces of tan-gold and forest-green, with considerable remaining silver brilliance. The fields are fully mirrored around lustrous devices, with considerable cameo contrast. Census: 4 in 65, 11 finer (9/11).(Registry values: N10218) (NGC ID# 24ZZ, PCGS# 6990)
Fees, Shipping, and Handling Description: Coins & Currency (view shipping information)
Sales Tax information | NGC Coin Grading Guarantee | Terms and Conditions
Bidding Guidelines and Bid Increments
Glossary of Terms
Buyer's Premium per Lot:
15% of the successful bid (minimum $14) per lot.
Floor auctionsOpen for bidding: (View All)
Jewelry & Timepieces
Ends on 06/06/2017
Ends on 06/08/2017
Ends on 06/10/2017
Ends on 06/11/2017
Arms & Armor
Ends on 06/11/2017
Ends on 06/17/2017
Ends on 06/21/2017
World & Ancient Coins
Ends on 06/22/2017
Jewelry & Timepieces
Ends on 06/26/2017
Opens about 06/02/2017
Fine & Rare Wine
Opens about 06/05/2017
Opens about 06/06/2017
Opens about 06/07/2017
Comics & Comic Art
Opens about 06/12/2017
Opens about 06/16/2017
Luxury Real Estate
Opens about 05/19/2017
Opens about 07/05/2017
Opens about 06/21/2017
- Past Auction Values (prices, photos, full descriptions, etc.)
- Bid online
- Free Collector newsletter
- Want List with instant e-mail notifications
- Reduced auction commissions when you resell your
- Cash Advances
- More Bidders
- Trusted Experts
- Over 200,000 Satisfied Consignors Since 1976
Learn about consigning with us
The results truly exceeded my expectations, and for this, you both deserve all the credit.View More Testimonials
HA.com receives more traffic than any other auction house website. (Source: Similarweb.com)