1839 Half Dime, PR65 Cameo
1839 H10C No Drapery PR65 Cameo NGC. This exceptional 1839
proof half dime is tied as the finest known specimen with a single
PCGS coin, also with the Cameo designation. Opportunities to
acquire any proof 1839 half dime are limited, and a chance to
acquire the finest known Gem proof half dime of any early date must
be seriously considered.
Tied for Finest of Only Five Proofs Known
Our roster is consistent with estimates of previous researchers. In The Complete Guide to Liberty Seated Half Dimes, Al Blythe suggests that four to five 1839 proof half dimes are known.. Walter Breen, in his 1989 Encyclopedia of United States and Colonial Proof Coins, lists four 1839 proof half dimes. NGC has certified a PR65 Cameo, which is the Kaufman coin, a PR65, and two PR64s. In the Bowers and Merena August 1999 sale of the Pittman specimen, the cataloger estimated that "perhaps just a dozen or fewer Proofs [were] made of the date, and with about half that number currently known."
The following roster of five confirmed proof 1839 half dimes is based on our review of auction appearances:
1. PR65 Cameo NGC. The Kaufman coin appears different from any of the following specimens. It may be the April 1964 Stack's piece, lot 1011, although the quality of the plate precludes a definite match. Phil Kaufman Collection of Early Proof Sets, Part III (Heritage, 4/2008), lot 2373. The present coin.
2. PR65 Cameo PCGS. Rarities Night (Stack's Bowers, 11/2012), lot 3068.
3. PR65 NGC. Adolphe Menjou Sale (Numismatic Gallery, 6/1950), lot 108; John Jay Pittman (David Akers, 10/1997), lot 457; Long Beach Connoisseur Collection (Bowers and Merena, 8/1999), lot 84; Richmond Collection (David Lawrence, 3/2005), lot 1081.
4. PR64 NGC. Paul S. Mory, Sr. Collection (Bowers and Merena, 6/2000), lot 423; Ira and Larry Goldberg (5/2001), lot 472. The Bowers and Merena cataloger states that this specimen resided for over a century in a collection formed by an attorney in Vicksburg, Mississippi, in the late 1800s.
5. Brilliant Proof. Major Lenox R. Lohr Collection (Stack's, 10/1956), lot 254; Stack's (1/1991), lot 40; Stack's (10/2002), lot 1155.
A. David Bullowa, May 1952.
B. Lester Merkin (4/1966), lot 71.
C. 1971 ANA (Stack's), lot 617.
Bright surfaces display whispers of light reddish-tan patina in the fields, and the strike is complete throughout. Magnification reveals some faint hairlines in the fields intermingled with die polish lines. A light diagonal mark on the right (left facing) breast is the sole marker to identify the coin. Extraordinary deep mirrors frame the silvery motifs on both sides, accenting the cameo appearance.
Ex: Phil Kaufman Collection of Early Seated Proof Sets, Part Three / Central States Signature (Heritage, 4/2008), lot 2373.
From The Greensboro Collection, Part VI.(Registry values: P4) (NGC ID# 2357, PCGS# 84409)
View all of [The Greensboro Collection, Part VI ]
Fees, Shipping, and Handling Description: Coins & Currency (view shipping information)
Sales Tax information | NGC Coin Grading Guarantee | Terms and Conditions
Bidding Guidelines and Bid Increments
Glossary of Terms
Buyer's Premium per Lot:
17.5% of the successful bid (minimum $14) per lot.
Floor auctionsOpen for bidding: (View All)
Jewelry & Timepieces
Ends on 06/06/2017
Ends on 06/08/2017
Ends on 06/10/2017
Ends on 06/11/2017
Arms & Armor
Ends on 06/11/2017
Ends on 06/17/2017
Ends on 06/21/2017
World & Ancient Coins
Ends on 06/22/2017
Jewelry & Timepieces
Ends on 06/26/2017
Opens about 06/02/2017
Fine & Rare Wine
Opens about 06/05/2017
Opens about 06/06/2017
Opens about 06/07/2017
Comics & Comic Art
Opens about 06/12/2017
Opens about 06/16/2017
Luxury Real Estate
Opens about 05/19/2017
Opens about 07/05/2017
Opens about 06/21/2017
- Past Auction Values (prices, photos, full descriptions, etc.)
- Bid online
- Free Collector newsletter
- Want List with instant e-mail notifications
- Reduced auction commissions when you resell your
- Cash Advances
- More Bidders
- Trusted Experts
- Over 200,000 Satisfied Consignors Since 1976
Learn about consigning with us
Thank you again for all the work you and the team at Heritage have done to make this such a success for our family and for helping share my father’s collection with the world.View More Testimonials
HA.com receives more traffic than any other auction house website. (Source: Similarweb.com)