Exquisite 1847 Half Dime, PR66
1847 H10C PR66 NGC. Ex: P. Kaufman. The Phil Kaufman 1847
proof half dime displays outstanding technical quality and
aesthetic appeal. Moreover, it is the finest of perhaps six or
seven known. NGC and PCGS population figures total eight certified
pieces, in line with this estimate, though some of those are likely
The Finest Known Specimen
1. PR66 NGC. The Kaufman specimen.
2. PR65 Cameo PCGS. Bowers and Merena (1/1999), lot 1066; Bowers and Merena (1/2000), lot 81; Superior (10/2000), lot 4326; Superior (1/2004), lot 177.
3. PR65 NGC. Richmond Sale, part III (David Lawrence Rare Coins, 3/2005), lot 1088.
4. Gem Proof. John G. Mills Collection (S.H. and H. Chapman, 4/1904); J.M. Clapp; Clapp estate, 1942; Louis E. Eliasberg, Sr. Collection (Bowers and Merena, 5/1996), lot 967.
5. PR65. Wayte Raymond (5/1945), lot 810; John Jay Pittman Collection (David Akers, 10/1997), lot 476.
6. Proof. Smithsonian Institution.
Additional Appearances. These may or may not be duplicates of the above.
A. Proof. Newcomb, part II (J.C. Morgenthau, 5/1945).
B. Proof. Bullowa (5/1952).
C. Proof. Lester Merkin (4/1966), lot 80 (unplated); 1971 ANA (Stack's, 8/1971); Reed Hawn Collection (Stack's, 8/1973), lot 60.
Whispers of light yellow-green, orange, aqua-blue, and violet toning grace both sides of this elegant half dime, each of which exhibits mildly frosted devices highlighted against the luminous fields. Further heightening the coin's beauty is a powerful strike that delivers strong definition to the design elements, and impeccably preserved surfaces that are devoid of any mentionable marks. A truly remarkable coin that will elicit keen interest among connoisseurs of Seated Liberty proof coinage.
From The Phil Kaufman Collection of Early Proof Sets, Part Four.(Registry values: P4) (NGC ID# 235F, PCGS# 4423)
Weight: 1.34 grams
Metal: 90% Silver, 10% Copper
View all of [Phil Kaufman Collection of Early Proof Sets, Part Four ]
Fees, Shipping, and Handling Description: Coins & Currency (view shipping information)
Sales Tax information | NGC Coin Grading Guarantee | Terms and Conditions
Bidding Guidelines and Bid Increments
Glossary of Terms
Buyer's Premium per Lot:
15% of the successful bid (minimum $9) per lot.
- Past Auction Values (prices, photos, full descriptions, etc.)
- Bid online
- Free Collector newsletter
- Want List with instant e-mail notifications
- Reduced auction commissions when you resell your
- Cash Advances
- More Bidders
- Trusted Experts
- Over 200,000 Satisfied Consignors Since 1976
Learn about consigning with us
I can bid with confidence that I will obtain lots at the lowest possible price in Heritage auctions.View More Testimonials
HA.com receives more traffic than any other auction house website. (Source: Similarweb.com)