Exceptional 1852 Half Dime, PR64 Cameo
1852 H10C PR64 Cameo NGC. Ex: P. Kaufman. The 1852 half dime
from the Phil Kaufman collection is an extreme rarity, and is the
only example given the Cameo designation by either NGC or
The Only Certified Cameo Proof
At CoinFacts.com, the estimated proof mintage is 10 coins, although Breen enumerated 13 known examples in his Proof Encyclopedia. NGC and PCGS have each certified six specimens.
Based on examination of plated catalogs, we have identified seven separate 1852 proof half dimes:
1. PR66 PCGS. James Kelly (9/1945); Benson Collection II (Ira and Larry Goldberg, 2/2002), lot 393.
2. Gem Proof. David Bullowa (5/1952); John Jay Pittman Collection David Akers (10/1997), lot 490.
3. PR65 PCGS. Heritage (1/2007), lot 854.
4. PR64 Cameo NGC. The Kaufman example.
5. PR63 ANACS. L.W. Hoffecker Collection (Superior Galleries, 2/1987), lot 831; Superior Galleries (2/1998), lot 1794; Superior Galleries (10/2000), lot 4328; Superior Galleries (1/2004), lot 2266.
6. Proof. American Numismatic Society.
7. Proof. Smithsonian Institution (impaired, per Breen).
A. PR63 PCGS. Heritage Exclusively Internet Auction (4/2004), lot 11293; Heritage Exclusively Internet Auction (5/2004), lot 13160.
B. Brilliant Proof. O.H. Berg Collection (Haseltine, 5/1883), lot 755a; John Work Garrett Collection; The Johns Hopkins University (Stack's, 3/1976), lot 111.
C. Proof. Valentine coin (per Breen).
D. Proof. Newcomb coin (per Breen).
E. Proof. Menjou coin (per Breen).
F. Proof. Brand coin (per Breen).
Frosty design elements appear to be suspended above the deep watery fields of this amazing half dime, confirming the Cameo designation. Moreover, the essentially untoned surfaces exhibit fully struck design elements, and are nicely preserved throughout. A few stray hairlines interspersed with die polish lines in the fields preclude full Gem classification. Nevertheless, an outstanding coin with tremendous eye appeal.
From The Phil Kaufman Collection of Early Proof Sets, Part Four.(Registry values: P3) (NGC ID# 235K, PCGS# 84429)
View all of [Phil Kaufman Collection of Early Proof Sets, Part Four ]
Fees, Shipping, and Handling Description: Coins & Currency (view shipping information)
Sales Tax information | NGC Coin Grading Guarantee | Terms and Conditions
Bidding Guidelines and Bid Increments
Glossary of Terms
Buyer's Premium per Lot:
15% of the successful bid (minimum $9) per lot.
Opens about 05/22/2017
Opens about 05/29/2017
Opens about 06/02/2017
World & Ancient Coins
Opens about 05/30/2017
Opens about 06/02/2017
Fine & Rare Wine
Opens about 06/05/2017
Jewelry & Timepieces
Opens about 05/26/2017
Opens about 06/06/2017
Opens about 06/08/2017
Comics & Comic Art
Opens about 06/12/2017
Opens about 06/16/2017
- Past Auction Values (prices, photos, full descriptions, etc.)
- Bid online
- Free Collector newsletter
- Want List with instant e-mail notifications
- Reduced auction commissions when you resell your
- Cash Advances
- More Bidders
- Trusted Experts
- Over 200,000 Satisfied Consignors Since 1976
Learn about consigning with us
I appreciate the comfort level when consigning with Heritage -- I know the job will be done right.View More Testimonials
HA.com receives more traffic than any other auction house website. (Source: Similarweb.com)