Rare 1855 Arrows Half Dime, PR66
1855 H10C Arrows PR66 NGC. Ex: P. Kaufman. There is no
official recorded mintage for the 1855 Arrows proof half dime.
Indeed, Al Blythe (1992) says that proofs are "unverified." Most
previous auction catalogers, however, believe that about 20 pieces
were struck, and that about 15 have survived to the present day.
David Akers (1997), on the other hand, estimates 50 to 60 were
struck for inclusion in 1855 proof sets, with perhaps 25 to 30
coins known today. Based on the approximately 40 proof 1855 Arrows
half dime appearances over the past 15 or so years that we are
aware of (several of which are "reappearances"), along with the 27
pieces certified by NGC and PCGS (likely inflated by
resubmissions), we believe that about 15-20 examples are
Among the Finest Known
Regardless of which figures may be correct, the present 1855 Arrows proof half dime is one of the four or five finest known. Current NGC/PCGS population figures show eight PR66 coins, and none finer, some likely resubmissions.
The following roster is based on the auction appearances with plates clear enough to match:
1. PR66 NGC. The present coin. Ex: Phillip Kaufman; Platinum Night (Heritage, 4/2008), lot 2394. According to Kaufman's notes, this may be the Eliasberg coin (Bowers and Merena, 5/1996), lot 995, but a plate match is uncertain.
2. PR66 PCGS. Floyd T. Starr Collection (Stack's, 10/1992), lot 334; Baltimore '93 Auction (Superior, 7/1993), lot 155; Long Beach Sale (Heritage, 2/2005), lot 6157; Rarities Sale (Bowers and Merena, 7/2005), lot 369; Ira and Larry Goldberg (9/2005), lot 1609.
3. PR65 NGC. New York ANA (Superior, 8/2002), lot 715.
4. PR64 PCGS. Pre-Long Beach Sale (Ira and Larry Goldberg, 6/2002), lot 2079.
5. PR64 PCGS. Thomas Sebring Collection (American Numismatic Rarities, 1/2004), lot 1357.
6. PR64 NGC. Richmond Sale III (David Lawrence Rare Coins, 3/2005), lot 1092.
7. PR63 Numistrust. Pre-Long Beach (Superior, 9/2004), lot 1936. Catalogers say: "It is difficult to know 100% (if a proof) but the possibility exists in this case."
8. PR62 PCGS. Heritage (6/2005), lot 5340.
9. PR62 PCGS. Stack's (11/2006), lot 30.
A. PR66 NGC. Rarities Sale (Bowers and Merena, 7/2005), lot 370.
B. PR66 NGC. Pre-Long Beach (Superior, 2/2006), lot 459.
C. PR65 NGC. Pre-Long Beach (Superior, 10/2001), lot 1743.
Beautiful toning is seen in mixtures of cobalt-blue and reddish-gold splashed with whispers of lilac over both sides of this wonderful example from the Kaufman Collection. Crisply defined on the design features, leaving no elements with the slightest hint of weakness. The only pedigree identifier we can locate on the impeccably preserved surfaces is a faint linear mark from the left diagonal of the M in DIME that extends above the right upright of the same letter.
From The Joseph C. Thomas Collection.(Registry values: P3) (NGC ID# 235T, PCGS# 4433)
View all of [The Joseph C. Thomas Collection, Part One ]
Fees, Shipping, and Handling Description: Coins & Currency (view shipping information)
Sales Tax information | NGC Coin Grading Guarantee | Terms and Conditions
Bidding Guidelines and Bid Increments
Glossary of Terms
Buyer's Premium per Lot:
15% of the successful bid (minimum $9) per lot.
Floor auctionsOpen for bidding: (View All)
Jewelry & Timepieces
Ends on 06/06/2017
Ends on 06/08/2017
Ends on 06/10/2017
Ends on 06/11/2017
Arms & Armor
Ends on 06/11/2017
Ends on 06/17/2017
Ends on 06/21/2017
World & Ancient Coins
Ends on 06/22/2017
Jewelry & Timepieces
Ends on 06/26/2017
Opens about 06/02/2017
Fine & Rare Wine
Opens about 06/05/2017
Opens about 06/06/2017
Opens about 06/07/2017
Comics & Comic Art
Opens about 06/12/2017
Opens about 06/16/2017
Luxury Real Estate
Opens about 05/19/2017
Opens about 07/05/2017
Opens about 06/21/2017
- Past Auction Values (prices, photos, full descriptions, etc.)
- Bid online
- Free Collector newsletter
- Want List with instant e-mail notifications
- Reduced auction commissions when you resell your
- Cash Advances
- More Bidders
- Trusted Experts
- Over 200,000 Satisfied Consignors Since 1976
Learn about consigning with us
I have a feeling you will leave behind your logo of the 'third largest auction house', to the soon be the: 'leading auction house in the USA'View More Testimonials
HA.com receives more traffic than any other auction house website. (Source: Similarweb.com)