Stunning 1847 Quarter, PR66
1847 25C PR66 NGC. Ex: P. Kaufman. The 1847 proof quarter
was struck for inclusion in proof sets of that year, of which David
Akers (1998) estimates 10 to 15 were issued. Larry Briggs (1991)
estimates five to ten specimens are known, while Walter Breen
(1988) enumerates seven coins. NGC and PCGS have certified a total
of 10 examples, some of which are likely resubmissions. Our
research accounts for eight distinct specimens:
Among Finest Known
1. PR66 NGC. The Kaufman coin. J.C. Morgenthau (10/1939), lot 378; Floyd T. Starr Collection (Stack's, 10/1992), lot 406.
2. PR66 NGC. Thomas Elder (4/1925); New Netherlands 49th Sale, lot 1153; Eugene H. Gardner Collection (Stack's, 2/1965), lot 1641; Floyd T. Starr Collection (Stack's, 10/1992), lot 405; Superior Galleries (7/1993), lot 327.
3. PR65 PCGS. J.B. Worthington Collection (American Numismatic Rarities, 5/2005), lot 203; Heritage (9/2005), lot 2676; Heritage (1/2006), lot 3156; Ira and Larry Goldberg (5/2006), lot 1755.
4. PR65. Chapman Brothers (5/1905); J.M. Clapp; Clapp estate, 1942; Louis E. Eliasberg, Sr. Collection (Bowers and Merena, 4/1997), lot 1441.
5. PR65. The Norweb Collection (Bowers and Merena, 3/1988), lot 1582.
6. PR64 NGC. Richmond Sale, part III (David Lawrence Rare Coins, 3/2005), lot 1519.
7. PR64. John Jay Pittman Collection (David Akers, 5/1998), lot 1312.
8. Proof. Smithsonian Institution.
Soft golden patina dominates the Kaufman Premium Gem proof, accented with splashes of electric-blue and magenta around the borders. A solid strike delivers complete delineation to the design elements. Mirrored fields establish pleasing contrast with the mildly frosted motifs, especially when the coin is tilted slightly under a light source. Both sides have been well cared for, further accentuating the already stunning eye appeal.
From The Phil Kaufman Collection of Early Proof Sets, Part Four.
Learn more at the Newman Numismatic Portal at Washington University in St. Louis.
View all of [Phil Kaufman Collection of Early Proof Sets, Part Four ]
Fees, Shipping, and Handling Description: Coins & Currency (view shipping information)
Sales Tax information | NGC Coin Grading Guarantee | Terms and Conditions
Bidding Guidelines and Bid Increments
Glossary of Terms
Buyer's Premium per Lot:
15% of the successful bid (minimum $9) per lot.
Opens about 01/02/2018
- Past Auction Values (prices, photos, full descriptions, etc.)
- Bid online
- Free Collector newsletter
- Want List with instant e-mail notifications
- Reduced auction commissions when you resell your
- Cash Advances
- More Bidders
- Trusted Experts
- Over 200,000 Satisfied Consignors Since 1976
Learn about consigning with us
Rock & Roll with Heritage into the 21st century of numismatics.View More Testimonials
HA.com receives more traffic than any other auction house website. (Source: Similarweb.com)